Gaffer - mate ! & win95 grief

Guest loonyl

Hi Gaffer!,

I got your email but my brain is confuzzled today (having taken YET another Micro$oft exam at £80 a pop , no less)

I can't remember hoow you get a win95 boot disk, but what I'd do smile.gif

is make a floppy using windows98

and use it to start your new computer.

then just format c:

then put the win95 in the CD and type "setup"

If you want to faff about biggrin.gif

you could

fdisk /mbr

fdisk

and delete the old partitions.

(except if they're Linux, then you may get some grief)

then fdisk and create a partition

then format

then using the floppy , put win95 in the cd

and run setup.

Like I say, I'm knak'd, my brain is out of gear, so maybe someone else may know an easier way?

Cheers

Liam

ps If not, I've got Win95, so I can have a tinker tommorow

Without knowing the original question, it is hard to comment to any great extent. Fdisk does sound like a really good step if the system is hosed up though.

If the PC you are going to reload runs at all though, I'd try the boot floppy first and make sure it will set up the CD player.

Make sure you format for FAT32 to make best use of hard disk space - unless you need the drive to be readably by NT in which case you will be forced to use FAT16.

Jeeps, Microsoft exams, I remember them, the one's where you don't need to know the right answer, just the Microsoft version of the answer smile.gif

I guess this is about formatting the ol' PC. The easiest way to make a boot disk is select DOS PROMPT from the main menu, when the screen goes black type : FORMAT A: /s

The floppy in Drive A will be formatted and system files copied. One thing though, before rebooting with the floppy, after fdisk and all that, make sure the BIOS boot sequence is set up to A then C, most people have them set up to C only nowadays. To access the BIOS set up, you normally press the DEL key on a cold boot, although it does change from board to board.

My limited advice would be :

a) Check you have DOS CD ROM drivers, otherwise windows CD will not be recognised.

B) Check you have all the drivers handy for your hardware. If not get them off the net while you still have chance.

c) Make sure you make a boot disk first.

d) Back up stuff you want to keep, if you can.

e) When using fdisk, it's set up for FAT32 not FAT16. I think, don't quote me on this, but if the current system is FAT16, I think fdisk will auto make it FAT16. Something from way back in Microsoft MCT days it rings a bell. Sorry it's late.

Sorry I don't know the original question, but I would recomend an occasional FDISK, format and re-install to anyone. It clears the rubbish out and gives the PC a fresh start.

Hope this helps, Jase

Many thanx for everyones help. wink.gif

I'm not that experienced with pc's, Yesterday was the first time I've ever taken a cover off!

I couldn't get the new c drive to work at all so I put the old one back in.(the old one has had 5 viruses on it!!!...hence being given the pc)

I then Formatted the pc and then loaded back in ms-dos, set-up disk and windows 98.

When I re-booted all of the information/programmes that I wanted to get rid of were still in the pc frown.gif.

For some reason, even though it's been propely un-installed, bits of Norton Utilities still linger.(there's a hand holding the c drive and d drive, also a little sheild next to the re-cycle bin)

I just can't get rid of them and I can't load any Isp instal disc's or delete the Virgin net icon.

Is a virus still in there or is it the Norton Utilities still causing problems?

Why did all the stuff I was trying to delete stay in there?

In frustration I pulled out a little battery thing (time clock!?) and left it to think about things...I won't be beaten!

What shall I do next?

M Xs,

Gaffer.

Gaffer,

What happened with the new disk

did it say summat like

"Can't read from the sodding fing

abort, self-destruct etc"

(If so then Format the sod !!!

and it'll be ok)

I dunno what's going on with the old one

(nothin new there then)

but if you follow the advise above

you'd be right!

An easier thing though,

is to get hold of a copy of Win98 and use it!

Its pretty clever, it says stuff like

"I'll format the sucker for you" biggrin.gif etc

You can get them for a tenner usually from computer shops (the oem versions)

tho' a mates prob better.

& Win98 is easier, coz you can boot straight from the CD.

Cheers

Liam

Originally posted by Jase:

Jeeps, Microsoft exams,

I remember them, the one's where you don't

need to know the right answer,

just the Microsoft version of the answer   smile.gif

Something from

way back in Microsoft MCT days it rings a bell.

Hope this helps, Jase

Hi Jase,

Yup, It really does my head in,

spending hours learning techie stuff,

then Billy Gates asks questions like

"Joe likes to suck eggs"

"Joanne like to eat snot"

what does Jo like to do?

I don't reckon its not techy at all, just a matter of luck!

I've got the 4 core exams

Work, Server, SITE & Net Ess

and am umming and arrhing what to do next.

(TCP/IP, IIS4 tho' they run out in Feb2001)

or SQL7 (028&029)

OR

nt4 mcse, mcse+i, mcdba or

win2k mcse or

mcsd or

or MCT or

Novell

or Linux? mmmhhhh

Any ideas?

Was MCT any good? Money any gud?

I really wanna do unix admin,

but dunno any higher level courses.

eg instead of iis4 , do Apache etc

Cheers

Liam

Gaffer - the little hand holding the drive indicates that the drive is set up to share data over a network. To get rid of it, go to network neighborhood and remove file & printer sharing. The hands should go away. Alternative would be to go to Windows Explorer and right-click on the drive icon. You should be able to un-share it that way.

Sounds like you didn't get a really clean start with the system or that you re-loaded an infected file of some kind.

I'm surprised that a current copy of norton couldn't spot any infected files though. It will then either fix them or they will have a manual-fix instruction on their web site. You may have had an old copy that couldn't deal with some of the newer viruses.

Loonyl - get the Win2K certs if at all possible. The Active Directory stuff is going to make the domain concept obselete pretty quickly I suspect and WINS will go the way of the dodo bird. Win2K will support WINS but only as a legacy app.

MCSE & network admin generally pay a bit better than the others. However, if you like dressing in ragged clothes, wearing a pony tail, not shaving often, working alone, and being able to mutter to yourself without seeming out of place, then go for the dba certs.

You will need a crystal ball or tea-leaf reader to figure out if Unix, Linux, and such will survive. Unix Admin pays pretty good now but so did COBAL programming.

Originally posted by Newt:

I'm surprised that a current copy of norton couldn't spot any infected files though.  It will then either fix them or they will have a manual-fix instruction on their web site.  You may have had an old copy that couldn't deal with some of the newer viruses.

Heres an online uptodate FREE checker http://housecall.antivirus.com/

Use the

"You can also scan without registering."

bit, it takes a while, but at least you know for good then

Cheers

Liam

Yup cheers

I reckon I'll do the 2 electives for the NT4

that aren't gonna retire

then the accelerated exam - waiting for a FREE token from Micro$oft (now theres a 1st)

then continue with the 2K stuff.

I'm prob gonna do the mcsd , coz I come from a programming background.

And I just saw this from http://www.scripts.uklinux.net/load.php3?g...tification.mcse

MCP 560,344

MCSE 316,208

MCP + Internet 202,162

MCT 28,167

MCSE + Internet 12,217

MCSD 10,574

MCDBA 9,278

MCP + Site Building 1,127

TOTAL--1,127,860

Note: Numbers indicate total certificates issued per title as of Oct. 2, 2000.

The total number of individuals who have obtained MCP status is 944,973.

The thing is if I do the old mcse stuff , then do 3 other exams , I get

mcp, mcp+I, mcse, mcse+i & mcdba stamped on my forehead, and still get to bypass about 5 exams of the 2K stuff.

I reckon QNX is gonna be the way forward,

Billy Gates has his eyes on it already,

and with ipv6 coming out soon.... http://www.qnx.com/iat/

(for an OS on a floppy)

Cheers

Liam

ps

However, if you like dressing in ragged clothes, wearing a pony tail, not shaving often, working alone, and being able to mutter to yourself without seeming out of place, then go for the dba certs.

hmmmmmm sounds kinda goood tooooo...

mutter, mutter biggrin.gif