WARNING

Guest duttyo

for christmas my parents brought me a new game. saltwater fishing by alligator software. when i tried to install it, it wouldn't work so i gave up and shut down the computer. when i next started it up i was greeted with the message this program has preformed an illegal opperation and will be shut down. the only way i could get the cpu to work again was to wipe the hard drive and reinstall windows. so please just be carefull if you have any games from the alligator range and if anyone has experienced anythig like this could you please get in touch or if anyone has any advice on what i should do if this happens again

The advice part of your post would have to depend on what hardware/memory/operating system you were running.

If you have Win95, it seems to function much better if you do periodic housekeeping on it. Very sensitive to disk fragmentation and will start to give you errors like this.

Good idea - maybe once a month - to start up in safe mode, disable any screen saver you have running, and then run a scandisk /w the standard and "fix all errors" options selected. Then run defrag - and if it tells you the system is only 0,1,2% fragmented, run it anyway. Do the Windows scandisk first - even if you run the DOS version at times because the DOS version can't see long file name errors.

If Win98, start in DOS mode and run the following command, exactly as typed

scanreg /fix /opt

there are spaces before each of the /. Then boot into safe mode and follow the Win95 instructions.

Note that scanreg is a great utility - it removes empty spaces from your registry (caused when you uninstall programs) and fixes most errors. The same program will work fine with Win95 but wasn't shipped with it. You can get the 3 scanreg files from a friend with Win98 (they fit on one floppy) and put them on your machine then run the utility.

I suspect that if you do the maint. and reload the program, it will work fine. If not, email me before you scrub the PC again.

newt.vail@pmusa.com

Originally posted by duttyo:

for christmas my parents brought me a new game. saltwater fishing by alligator software. when i tried to install it, it wouldn't work so i gave up and shut down the computer. when i next started it up i was greeted with the message this program has preformed an illegal opperation and will be shut down. the only way i could get the cpu to work again was to wipe the hard drive and reinstall windows. so please just be carefull if you have any games from the alligator range and if anyone has experienced anythig like this could you please get in touch or if anyone has any advice on what i should do if this happens again

You know what? ,

I got socks, socks and sodding socks !! biggrin.gif

If you're using windo$e, try

(Start), Settings, Control Panel,

Add/Remove Programs

pick the one you wanna Nuke, then

Add/Remove & follow the stuff.

Cheers

Liam

ps This week I have mainly been wearing SOCKS ! biggrin.gif

Thanks for the advice but the problem is i can't even get into windows in order to try and correct whatever's gone wrong. i'm certain that it's the game that has caused the problem because i tried it on another machine before realising what it had done to the first because i didn't find out till i tried to restart it. both the computers use windows 98 and pentium 3 processors

Did you try starting Windows in safe mode? Lots of times, that will work because most of the add-on stuff doesn't even try to start.

From a DOS prompt

Win /D:M will force a start in safe mode.

Guest ALAN FAWCETT

Hey Liam i asked all my friends n family to get me fishing related stuff for crimbo then i realised i was running short on socks so i brought a dozen from the market! When i got in from work on xmas day i opened my prezzies n found new nets n carry all from the wife a new landing net handle from my 1 1/2 year old daughter fishing vid from my mum n sh*t loads of hiking socks from the rest of them "thought they'd keep your feet warm when your on the bank"!!! Oh well that'll teach me i'm gonna ask for socks next year that'll confuse them!!!!!!

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

------------------

ALAN (the trogg) F

LOL Alan,

I think that's where I went wrong this year biggrin.gif

Cheers

Liam

ps still got my eye on one of them there telescopic rods, BUT flippin computers

NOW they want another £250 of me, so I can become a Chartered Engineer (Not a clue what one of them are)

Hey btw is anyone here a member of the British Computer Society?

as i could do with a reference

also , I want to get some thermal underwear,

(its good to share...) coz its flippin freezin atm.

Originally posted by Newt:

From a DOS prompt

Win /D:M will force a start in safe mode.

Well I never !!

Learn summat new every day

Cheers Newt

Liam