Recommend me a digital camera?

Guest Roy Meincken

Guest Roy Meincken

Anyone recommend a halfway decent digital camera. Needn't sing, dance or make chips, but fun snaps with kids, dogs, chickens, SHEEP wink.gif etc.

Also, can I keep costs under £250?

Any experience of this, let me know please.

Thanks,

Roy

ps - small tax rebate!!! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Hi Roy

I use a fuji mx1200 and dont think you can get a better camera for the price biggrin.gif

mine cost me £199 when i bought it and i have seen it advertised for about £175 on the net now. smile.gif

i has a 1.3 pixel resolution whitch is quite adequate for all but the professionals.

it is certanly good enought to produce pictures for publishing on the net.

They usually come with a 4mb smart card, which should enable you to take over 50 good quality photo's before downloading.

I have got a 32mb card in mine which my brother sent me from the states.(Holds 180 medium quality pic's or 500 low quality)

A digital camera is definatly somthing i would recomend any angler to buy if they have a pc. it saves having a film in the camera for the whole season and forgetting what you took. you can also download as soon as you get home smile.gif

------------------

dave kennedy

Guest gray-catchpole

i use a now out of date kodak dc50, its got an ok zoom, and you can pick them up second hand for about £100 , i actually had mine as a long term lend, ive had it for around two years and he doesnt seem to want it back, hows that for cheep biggrin.gif

------------------

gray-catchpole

http://catchpole.cjb.net

mailto:catchpole@go-fishing.co.ukcatchpole@go-fishing.co.uk

Guest thecarpangler

I know its out of your price range, but i've got the Fuji Finepix 4700 Zoom.

It's got 4.3 megapixels, video, amazing zoom, onboard editing, auto everything, LCD screen and it's quite compact.

Having stepped up from a £150 camera to this one, all I can say is try and stretch your finances and go for something better.

The differences are really amazing.

Assuming you want this camera just for general everyday shots then there are 3 cameras near your price band that I think would be worth a look. They're all megapixel cameras, they all have optical (and digital) zoom and they're all made by companies with an excellent reputation in digital cameras. For me the optical zoom is probably the most important feature because I find it gives the camera far more versatility without fiddling round with a digtal zoom (optical zoom actually moves the lens to zoom the camera, digital zoom enhances part of a taken picture).

The 3 cameras are :

Fuji Finepix 1400 Zoom (£229.99)

Kodak DC240 (£289.95)

Olympus C960 Zoom (£262.77)

These prices are taken from www.pricerunner.co.uk which is a site that compares shop prices (both High Street and on-line) for various goods (this site will open your eyes to the markup charged by the High Street stores - no wonder Currys tried to sue them to stop them publishing their prices!).

It's well worth checking all the stores though because it may be that they'll be selling subtley different packages to each other (some may include a case, some may include a slightly bigger memory card etc).

Obviously adding an upgraded memory card would add a few quid to this, but it won't be often you'll need it if you're downloading your pictures when you get home each night. The extra memory is only really significant if you are going to be away from your pc on holiday perhaps, so I think you could leave the purchase on an extra card til later.

I personally have an Olympus Camedia D-400 zoom that I bought on a trip to the States. The UK equivalent model is the C960 Zoom mentioned above. I am continually impressed by the quality of photos it takes smile.gif

Of course, if you like a bit of a bargain and a bit of tension then try this :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll...item=1208835740

I bought a brand new Canon EOS 1 through Ebay and saved over £400!