Prob'ly stupid questions

Guest piscary

Guest piscary

This is going to sound pathetic to those of you who understand technology but someone's gotta help me improve my quality of life on this infernal machine. (please! I'm begging)

I have no sound. Speakers are plugged in - can they be plugged in to the hard drive the wrong way round? And what would happen if I reversed the plugs? Little red light is on the speaker 'power' switch and I've checked the sound thingy on Control Panel. (I think) Friends have sent me loads of daft items to listen to - and I can't. And I miss my jungle noises. It's not the same when I trumpet and growl every time I switch the machine on. The neighbours are gonna start talking about me soon.

Aaaand. Why is it that when I try to reply to a message on a forum I get a message saying that I haven't filled in all the necessary fields? Isn't something supposed to do that for me? Automatically like? Or not?

Help me get my sound back! I'm fading away, here.

Rosie

Guest dave k

I'm not an expert Rosie.

But try going to my computor and clicking on multimedia devices.

You should find details of your sound card on there. smile.gif

make sure it is checked to use this device.

Other than that you need to wait for Gray or ian to get on line as they are the experts on AN rolleyes.gif

------------------

dave kennedy

Guest fisherman

H i Rosie, again no expertbut try double clicking on thespeaker icon at the bottom of the screen, you should get the volume control come up, see how it is set , high, low or what. Otherwise it is up to Gray or one of the other boffins here.

Dave

Guest loonyl
Originally posted by piscary:

This is going to sound pathetic to those of you who understand technology but someone's gotta help me improve my quality of life on this infernal machine. (please! I'm begging)

I have no sound. Speakers are plugged in - can they be plugged in to the hard drive the wrong way round? And what would happen if I reversed the plugs? Little red light is on the speaker 'power' switch and I've checked the sound thingy on Control Panel. (I think) Friends have sent me loads of daft items to listen to - and I can't. And I miss my jungle noises. It's not the same when I trumpet and growl every time I switch the machine on. The neighbours are gonna start talking about me soon.

Aaaand. Why is it that when I try to reply to a message on a forum I get a message saying that I haven't filled in all the necessary fields? Isn't something supposed to do that for me? Automatically like? Or not?

Help me get my sound back! I'm fading away, here.

Rosie

Hey Piscary,

I duuno mate !

Did it work before?

If so , has anything changed?

I'd plug the speakers in the other way

if the leads been out..wont harm them

The other thing (if you're using Windosw)

is it you do a "Start"

"Settings"

"Control Panel"

"System"

"Device Manager"

"Sound, video and game controllers"

and see if theres any symbol

(like a yellow warning triangle) there.

You can do a properties on each entry

under the "Sound, video and game controllers"

and it should say

"Device status- this device is working properly"

Hope this helps

Cheers

Liam

ps re the postings ,

Its automatic after you've done one,

but you have to fill them in manually

sometimes...best just to check that the

boxes are filled

"Your UserName"

"Your Password"

Guest loonyl

Oh I forgot,

first off try wiggling the speaker wires

as mine wont work unless their in a specific

position.

(Its just the wires a bit knakd)

Cheers

Liam

I am an expert Rosie if you are using a microsoft system (Win95/98/ME/NT) (Newt says, patting self on the back :cool smile.gif and suggest that your problem is one of the following - in order of likelyhood. You didn't mention if you had your PC cables out of the PC recently so I'm giving a "soup to nuts" troubleshooting list. BTW - there is a setting in your profile on the bbs that tells it to remember you and your password - it should put an appropriate cookie on your PC. If you block cookies, it can't remember you.

1. Speaker cable plugged into wrong port on the PC. You can easily check by moving it to each of the plugs on the sound card. No harm if it is put in the wrong one. Plug and try a sound. If it works, you should be cured. If not, move it and try again. If no luck, then

2. Check the multi-media section in control panel and make sure you have a device identified for sounds. If not, try to add one from a drop-down list. If so (or if you have nothing shown as available in the drop down list)

3. Open the System icon in control panel, click on the device tab (may not be that name - I'm on an NT system at the moment and it doesn't look the same). You should see a list of all the devices on your PC. Check to see if any have a yellow question mark or a red mark by the device. If so, it isn't installed properly and will need to be re-done. In that case, email me at newt.vail@pmusa.com and I'll work you through the process.

Guest loonyl
Originally posted by Newt:

I am soooo S..M..R..T

(as in Homer -Simpsons) smile.gif

Hey Newt,

How come you know so much?

Is there any jobs in America for Limeys?

MCSE etc yawn yawn.

I may not be GOOD, but I AM CHEAP biggrin.gif

Cheers

Liam

Originally posted by loonyl:

I may not be GOOD, but I AM CHEAP

Oi! Leave Rosie's catchphrase alone eek.gif

I'm outta here....

Elton

Originally posted by loonyl:

Hey Newt,

How come you know so much?

Is there any jobs in America for Limeys?

MCSE etc yawn yawn.

I may not be GOOD, but I AM CHEAP biggrin.gif

Cheers

Liam

Liam - I've been doing this type of work for just this side of forever. Spent the 9 years before this job as network admin and general computer advice guy in a hospital. Nurses and doctors are great with sick folks but they probably invented "stupid user tricks"

IS/IT jobs here are begging for people. We have lots more jobs than qualified people to fill them. Pay is good too. MCSE who is willing to shop around a bit can likely start at $60K (£40K) with any prior experience whatever. Higher in the big cities but cost-of-living is higher too so eats the difference.

Come on over mate. Fishing is great too.

BTW - OZ is in even worse shape than the US. We've stolen so many of their IS folks that they are hurting for people and have raised IS salaries to well above the usual for OZ. I understand they have great fishing and they, too, speak a version of English.

[This message has been edited by Newt (edited 06 January 2001).]

Guest piscary
Originally posted by Elton:

Oi! Leave Rosie's catchphrase alone eek.gif

I'm outta here....

Elton

Elty Baby!

You've got it the wrong way round - AGAIN! It should be 'I may not be CHEAP but I AM GOOD!'

Thanks everyone for the advice, btw. What a lovely lot of blokes you are. You can see how worried I've been about my pooter prob. - posting at this time in the morning. It's kept me awake all night smile.gif

Not really, just had a phone call from Number Two Son who has a habit of ringing me when he leaves night-clubs. Now I can't get back to sleep so I've gone into writing mode.

I'll try all your recommendations in daylight and report in. Someone might have to talk me through some bits, though. I'm pretty thick.

Cheers,

Rosie