Prob'ly stupid questions

Guest piscary

Guest gray-catchpole

i cant really add to what newt said, if the drivers are istalled and are reported as working properly, try deleting the drivers for the card, reboot, and the drivers will be reinstalled, with the default settings, if this is no good, try a different set of speakers, hope you get sorted soon smile.gif

Originally posted by gray-catchpole:

i cant really add to what newt said, if the drivers are istalled and are reported as working properly, try deleting the drivers for the card, reboot, and the drivers will be reinstalled, with the default settings, if this is no good, try a different set of speakers, hope you get sorted soon smile.gif

If you do need to delete and let it reinstall, do the removal from Safe Mode. To get into safe, I always do a start~shutdown~restart in ms-dos mode and then key in Win /D:M (space after Win before /). This forces a start in safe mode where most of the PCs features are disabled and devices will remove cleaner.

And yes, I know there is a function key you can press while the PC is booting to put it in safe but I can never remember which one or when to press since NT doesn't have the feature and I rarely use Win9x/ME. Either F5 or F8. Still, a Win /d:m from dos will always work.

Good luck to you Rosie and do be sure to let us know what results you had.

Guest loonyl
Originally posted by Newt:

IS/IT jobs here are begging for people. We have lots more jobs than qualified people to fill them. Pay is good too. MCSE who is willing to shop around a bit can likely start at $60K (£40K) with any prior experience whatever.

Come on over mate. Fishing is great too.

BTW - OZ is in even worse shape than the US. We've stolen so many of their IS folks that they are hurting for people and have raised IS salaries to well above the usual for OZ. I understand they have great fishing and they, too, speak a version of English.

LOL ,

Many thanks Newt !

This is my cunning plan,

I want to go back to Australia,

and have dual citizenship.

So what I'm doing at the moment is

trying to join the British Computer Society http://www.bcs.org.uk

under the "Mature Candiddate Route"

because the Australian Immigration bods

think its ok.

I have already applied, and have to wait 4

months for the all clear.

Then its sign up with the Australian

Consulate & spend 3 years over there

to get the Full Ozzy passport!

Hmmmm,

On the dole in Manchester ...or

On the dole in Queensland????

Its a toughie biggrin.gif

Cheers

Liam

My CV's at http://www.scripts.uklinux.net/cv2001.html

btw If you refer me to the agencies in the

USA you should get about $500

(or they do over here !)

Then we can buy each other a pint !

Guest loonyl
Originally posted by piscary:

Elty Baby!

You've got it the wrong way round - AGAIN! It should be 'I may not be CHEAP but I AM GOOD!'

Cheers,

Rosie

Aye

Thats how I remember Piscary !

from ages ago

"Tight Arsons

DON'T YOU DARE"

You're a braver man than me Elton biggrin.gif

Liam

Guest Roy Meincken

Rosie,

There are no "stupid questions" but there are for sure loads of stupid answers.

Roy

ps, Chocolate?

------------------

Guest Danny Race

Hi !

Re .. No Sound.

I had the same trouble with my old computor .. It turned out that the sound card driver installer placed two programs, one in Windows and one in MSDOS. I had to set up the card in MSDOS before Windows would even attempt to configure it ..

Don't know if this helps.

Danny/Sheff

Guest piscary

Well, I tried every single thing you all suggested - even took all the plugs out, disentangled all the wires (you never know! don't mock the technologically challenged) and replaced them.

I noticed that the speaker without any knobs emitted a faint jungle noise when tested - only just audible - but the one with controls did absolutely nothing until I wiggled its connector in the hard drive. Then I got a sort of static noise.

Number two son reckons the speakers are knackered. 'I might have dropped them when you moved.' Now he tells me! So, it looks like I've gotta shell out for some new ones. Any suggestions? Any particular type or do I just show myself up and go into a computer shop with the ones I've got and say 'Copy that!'

And PLEASE don't say 'chocolate,' Roy! It gets me all going and I'm still trying to recover from the Christmas Chocolate Mountain. smile.gif

ATB,

Rosie

Guest davidP

Rosie - if you don't have spare speakers to try then maybe plug in some headphones instead to see if it's the card rather than buy new speakers straight away

Originally posted by davidP:

Rosie - if you don't have spare speakers to try then maybe plug in some headphones instead to see if it's the card rather than buy new speakers straight away

I agree - or try your speakers in another PC that has a known working sound card.