Internet problems

Guest Steve Burke

Guest Steve Burke

For a long time now we've had problems with being disconnected from the net. It happens intermittently and often immediately having logged on, especially when initially connecting to newsgroups or when picking up e-mail This is despite not having it set to auto-disconnect.

I'd add that we use Explorer but have Navigator installed as well. Out ISP is Cable & Wireless.

We're about to install a new hard drive and use the old one as back up. This will enable us to have a clear out. At the same time we're going to replace the scanner, which is on the blink, and also probably change our ISP to NTL.

Any ideas was to what's causing this infuriating problem? Also any comments or hints re our changes/upgrades?

Steve - are you using dial-up with a modem on a regular phone line? If so, external or internal modem?

I can offer some suggestions based on the type of connection you use.

Please email your answer to me at newt.vail@pmusa.com since I may not be checking the bbs for a bit. The email will pop up an "I am here" box so I can get back on the bbs and reply.

[This message has been edited by Newt (edited 08 January 2001).]

Guest loonyl
Originally posted by loonyl:

Steve,

I have exactly the same problem through PlusNet.

If I can manage to stay on for 5 minutes without being disconnected , I'm lucky.

Apparently, its due to BT upgrading their

local exchanges, coz they have been kicked up

the bum from Oftel & told to get their act together.

AOL and other major Internet Service Providers (ISP's) are trying to give 24/7 accounts, so BT are trying like crazy to update things , so they don't get fined for breach of contract.

Its bloody fustrating, sometimes it takes me half an hour to get 1 email.

BUT ! as soon as BT have to pay for any downtime etc, things are going to improve rapidly !

Something I was looking at is http://www.connect25.co.uk    

It used to be £25 pa but its £50 now.

The best idea of whats hot & what's not,

is to look at

Free Internet good or bad or try a power search here.Cheer s

Liam

Phew !

Guest waterman1013

Steve

Are you dialling up through BT or via one of the cable companies?

If it is a cable company it might simply be their line voltage is set too low and that can cause kicks out and line drops, or so my son says. And he seems to know more about telphone systems than is healthy in a growing lad!!

By the way how was London last week (Thursday)? You weren't sure were you?

bw

Mike

Guest dave k

Steve

i had a similar problem to you when i connected.

Especially when i was checking my emails. frown.gif

for some reason it didn't recognise the fact you were still using the net when looking and working on outlook express frown.gif

If you are going to be reading mail and news groups for longer than 10 minuites, keep going back to you browser ocasonally.

10 mins seems to be the norm that they usually disconnect after if they dont think you are not using the connection.

hope this helps

------------------

dave kennedy

Guest Steve Burke
Originally posted by waterman1013:

Steve

Are you dialling up through BT or via one of the cable companies?

If it is a cable company it might simply be their line voltage is set too low and that can cause kicks out and line drops, or so my son says.  And he seems to know more about telphone systems than is healthy in a growing lad!!

By the way how was London last week (Thursday)?  You weren't sure were you?

bw

Mike

We use Eurobell at present on both of our lines. The modem line is used purely for the Internet.

The trip to London was helpful but no acupunture on the day. However the trapped nerve seems to be settling again for a while. It's amazing how many posts there were on the Forums when I couldn't sit for long at the computer!

Thanks to everyone for the ideas - please keep 'em coming!

Guest waterman1013

Steve

In that case contact Eurobell technical service and ask them to check their line voltage, explain the drop outs on modem and ask them if they can increase it for you. Most line providers are very good at responding to such requests, but they do like to run on minimum volts for some reason.

I was outside Leicester Square tube when you and Peggy crossed Charing Cross Road, you looked quizically at me but I could tell your mind was on other matters.

best wishes

Mike

Guest Steve Burke
Originally posted by waterman1013:

Steve

In that case contact Eurobell technical service and ask them to check their line voltage, explain the drop outs on modem and ask them if they can increase it for you. Most line providers are very good at responding to such requests, but they do like to run on minimum volts for some reason.

Mike

Just spoken to them. They're familar with the problem! Apparently the answer is not to use the box of tricks on the wall to connect to Eurobell automatically but to put their code 1452 followed by a comma in the dial-up box on the connection details that come on screen when you click to go online.

That's fine for us as we use this line only for the internet. Otherwise it's fiddly to remember to do each time you make a call. I suggested to Eurobell that they and BT's other competitors publicise the solution. Maybe this is the reason they haven't.

I'm connected this way for the first time and so far no problems. As mentioned the problem was intermittant, but if it continues to work I'll owe you a big thank-you, Mike, to both you and your son.

Hopefully it'll also help others with a similar problem with other phone companies.