Buying an elasticated whip

davedave

Evening,

I want to buy an elasticated whip for fishing for roach, Rudd, perch and skimmers on Stillwater's. I've been looking on the bay, and seen two that take my fancy, one is £17, and one is £27.

Leeda 5.5m elasticated whip, comes with 2 elasticated top kits and a rig and disgorger: £27

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Leeda-5-5m-Telescopic-Whip-Plus-Pre-elasticated-ready-to-fish-/290824935724?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Fishing_FishingRods_EH&hash=item43b684592c

This whip comes with two elasticated top kits, and Leeda is recognised as a good make, however it doesn't say which size elastic it comes with and is £10 dearer and 0.5m shorter than the NGT whip.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NGT 6m number 6-8 elasticated whip, comes with a free rig: £17

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NGT-6m-Intrepid-Telescopic-Fishing-Pole-Whip-complete-with-elastic-and-float-rig-/290870776479?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Fishing_FishingRods_EH&hash=item43b93fd29f

I have a quiver from NGT and it's a great bit of kit so I have no qualms over the quality of this product, it is longer than the Leeda whip, £10 cheaper and I know what number elastic it has whereas the Leeda whip does not say. However this whip only has one elasticated top kit but the Leeda has two.

I don't own a pole and only have a cheap un-elasticated whip so it's really to see if buying a pole would be something i'd use/enjoy, but I don't want to spend megabucks and all the kit you need for pole fishing. Going back to the whips though I don't want to buy tat as I've gone for the cheaper option before and been disappointed. I'd appreciate if any match fishermen or people that do a lot of whip/pole fishing could point me in the right direction in which i'd be better off with, or neither if that's the case.

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

The Leeds looks a better option.

A flick tip and two elasticated tips which I would think will be one around 6/8 for general fishing and a beefed up 10/12 for Tench, small carp etc.

Have you considered a margin pole as then it will be take apart rather than telescopic?

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Thanks for the reply Rudd. No I haven't considered a margin pole, this is all a bit new to me. However it would be for speed fishing and I would have thought a whip would be quicker? Would a margin pole be heavy Rudd?

Thanks

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

Personally I would go for the Leeda purely because I know the brand and has two top kits :D

You could always ask the seller what size elastic they are ?

I love grabbing my little elasticated whip, which is only about 1.5m-2m telescopic and heading out to the canal for a bit of no fuss fishing for a few short hours. :)

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

A whip will be much lighter for fishing to hand but you dont have much control over the rig.

A margin pole gives you the option to fish short precise rigs and be in control of the rig.

TBH for what you want I think the Leeda pole will be the best option.

5 meters is about the longest you want a whip unless using a top of the range Daiwa take apart system one!

From years of match fishing, rig wise it will be best to set up some mini waggler / still water blue / canal grey floats to use as opposed to pole floats - they dont tangle and swicng out much better than a pole float.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Thanks guys :)

Just goes to show that the internet isn't always cheaper, the Leeda whip was £7 cheaper in my tackle shop, and I can use it now. I decided on the 4m version as I think it'll be better to fish to hand.

Dave

Edited by davedave
  • Like 1