canal fishing

danny29

i've got all my stuff eady and i'm ready to go i was just wondering when fishing a with 4lb line ground bait cgae end feeder and 16 hook what bait and how much line do ineed form mainline to feeder and mainline to hook is it less than when fihsing for bigger fish

fishing rocks

Hi Danny

To keep it simple I would advise attaching the feeder 'in line' All you do is attach the feeder to mainline and stop it with a drennan ledger stop.

This way you can move the distance of feeder to hook easily. You should try and fish the feeder as close to the hook as possible, ie 12 inches or whatever the metric equivalent is. But do experiment until bite come regulary.

I have done a lot of canal fishing lately, sweetcorn seems to work quite well, have taken Bream and Roach on my last visit. Maggots tend to be grabbed by small Perch this time of the year. As for groundbait I use bread, put through the food processor, you don't need to add water it just squeeses together nicley, ti maske a cloud squeeze it looseley to make it drop straight to the bottom squeeze it tightly. If you are using a feeder, and there is any boat traffic, you will have to have the line weighted down further up than the feeder, unless you are fishing down the track. Hope this helps

mashed bread in your feeder, with half a lob worm on a 14 is a killer for larger perch in my local canal at present. Make a cloud of mashed bread, and pinch some flake on with very little weight on your line, and if you have tench or chub in your local waters you can't miss.

Strike!!! What????

thanks everyone i went on sunday and caught five perch on worm and a 4lb chub on ledgered luncheon meat thanks next i'll try for perch on float fished worm with red maggot and i'll feeder fish liquidized bred with bred flake luncheon meat and worm on the hook thanks eveyone but can i ask

can i put other loose feed in the liquidized bread to atract other fiah that might that the luncheon meat and worm?

fishing rocks

• 3 years later...

not sure how well this work as every water is different... but on my local canal the feeder fishign technique ive been usign seems to be the bussiness. I use 5lb main line with a long very light hook length bait wise i use either a red worm lob worm or a small hooking pellet or a small pellet super glued to the hook (i cut a small grove in to the pellet) depending on the bait im using a use a hook size between 14 and 20.

i bait up with ground bait and put free bait in to the groud bait either pellets or chopped worm, i always bait an area up right in the middle of the cannal some thing you dont see many people doing once ive baited it up i move away from the baited area to the right (15 yards or so) i then use the line clip and a marker on the line much like carp fishing casting over distance to my right and then reeling back to the line marker and cliping again before castign to the left with the feeder full and the bait on. I leave the feeded to empty and reel the bail back about a foot (the length of the hook link) it looks strange to on looking fisherman as i have my feeder rod directly out in front of me!

some times it take a while to get the swim going (i keep castign every 10-15misn until it does) but once it gets going it never seems to stop. the accurate casting means im always fishing on a very small baited up area. ive sat tehre an watch fishermen next to me on either side blank while im pulling out roach, bream and even the odd carp on this method, ive found using a spicy groudbait with teh worm or red meggot brings out the perch. The only problem i have ver had with this method was hooking what i can only presume was a big cap as the rod pulled right round had a couple of clicks from the clutch on the reel and the line snapped(thats the main line as well not the hook length!)! gutted bear in mind it happen so quick it snapped before i even picked the rod up. I'd be really intresed to hear from and one who trys this to know how it performs on other cannals.

good luck richard

We can't seem to winkle out anything with feeder tactics anywhere at the moment. The canal...nope. the river...nope. Ressie...nope. Annoying really cos it's good fun when it's working.

We caught a rake of rudd, roach, perch and hybrids yesterday.....all on the waggler. Not a bad thing for the float fans.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...