Going wireless

Ken L

Sorted! :)

Basically it was changing options on devices to make them sharable, then the Desktop became visible to the Laptop (but not the other way round - hmmmm!).

Oh! and now have to figure out how to make the printer and external hard drive available when the Desktop has gone to sleep!

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

....the Desktop became visible to the Laptop (but not the other way round - hmmmm!).

Par for the course! Try entering the laptop's name in the address bar of a folder window on the desktop as

\\laptopname

Then you should get a window asking for a name and password. Use an admin account (for the remote computer).

This is the way I have to access my Vista desktop from my XP laptop. Even though the desktop doesn't appear in things like "My Network Places" on the laptop I can access the shared folders on the desktop.

I have to access the printer the same way, that doesn't show up anywhere either!

Edited by ColinW

Par for the course! Try entering the laptop's name in the address bar of a folder window on the desktop as

\\laptopname

Then you should get a window asking for a name and password. Use an admin account (for the remote computer).

This is the way I have to access my Vista desktop from my XP laptop. Even though the desktop doesn't appear in things like "My Network Places" on the laptop I can access the shared folders on the desktop.

I have to access the printer the same way, that doesn't show up anywhere either!

Ah, it's seeing the laptop now (might be because I've done a couple of restarts on both machines) , but it won't let me access it, showing an outdated Layered Service Provider error (giving the choice to remove the LSP, but I think I had better not!)

Printer connected to the desktop accessed from the laptop is fine, and so is the external hard drive, and some folders (but I'm having problems with permissions fo some).

I think that I can do what I most of what I want to do, but it's niggling that I can't do everything I'd like.

(Though it does say that it's best to move files that you want to share to a public folder, but that is overly fiddly when I'm working on the laptop, someone else is working on the desktop, and I want to access information somewhere in my desktop file directory).

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust