Improvise a trout lure?

GlennB

Well, I recently bought a 6' lightweight spinning rod and I have a local brook full of small brown trout, but I have no tiny lures. My tackle shop is closed for the holiday period and I want to go fishing tomorrow.

Any reason I shouldn't just wrap a bit of tinfoil above a 14 hook?

Anybody here know a good way to improvise a tiny spinner?

(I realise it's the coarse forum, but it's pretty slow over on the game fishing forum)

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

quote:

Originally posted by GlennB:

Well, I recently bought a 6' lightweight spinning rod and I have a local brook full of small brown trout, but I have no tiny lures. My tackle shop is closed for the holiday period and I want to go fishing tomorrow.

Any reason I shouldn't just wrap a bit of tinfoil above a 14 hook?

Anybody here know a good way to improvise a tiny spinner?

Lure-fishing crosses all barriers & species!

If you can't find a piece of wire to make the shaft i.e. one that you can twist-up an eye at each-end, use the thickest trace-wire you have.

Cut the shape of a small willow blade like the Mepps Aglia Longue from any thin strip of metal, even aluminium will do for the day. Make a hole in the blade for the clevis wire.

Make-up a clevis from trace-wire of similar thickness or thinner, with two Drennan rings or, at a push, two small split-rings, putting the wire through the hole in the DIY blade before fitting the second ring

Slip the clevis and DIY blade over the solid wire or thick trace wire, using a BB shot to act as a stop just above the hook. If you haven't got a small treble, I'd probably run two singles, one behind the other ,,, because trout have notoriously hard mouths and fight hard, even small ones. If the flow in your brook is fast and you need more weight, add more shot

If you think you'll have problems with the clevis closing-up in use, you can use any tiny section of tubing, even a small section of drinking-straw, to keep the two ends of the clevis apart, without affecting its rotation.

Surprised that ALL the tackle-shops in your City are closed tomorrow :confused:

You say you haven't got any tiny lures but if you have a medium-sized Mepps e.g. size 3 or 4, you can soon make a small lure from it ... using a pair of tin-snips or side-cutters (followed by some judicious filing) to make a small blade, and dispense with the treble in favour of a single ..or two. The body may be a atd on the large size, but so is a trout's appetite!

I'm assuming that you haven't got access to a fly-rod etc ... because it would be even easier to make-up a nice flashy fly

DG

[ 09. April 2004, 07:05 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

Errrr, no purists around then? Free-line bread flake, let it go with the flow. Watch the bread, strike when it disappears because it's probably in a trout's mouth!! Psssst, not normally the done thing, but it works!

D.G. - amazing and thanks. I have to try this. Despite the early Bulgarian red wine, think I can visualise what you mean (p.s. not many cities in N.E.Somerset)

P.W. - well, I bought the damn spinning rod so I feel a need to spin with it It might even have been you that asked for a field report on the Rapala Huntsman 6' ( but I'll be taking worms too. In fact I usually catch these boogers on worm or sweet corn)

Cheers

[ 09. April 2004, 08:13 PM: Message edited by: GlennB ]

What about bubble and fly?? I've used this to good effect on many venues.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

D.G. - I've arranged the following, based on a length of trace wire.

#10 hook crimped at one end.

Short length of plastic carp tube.

Rubber carp bead, the tube+bead over the crimp and hook shank somewhat.

Blade snipped from an old CD (fish will eat anything :) )and bent round to lie fairly flat to the 'shaft'

Swivel crimped at other end.

This beauty will snag on a rock first cast, then it's back to worms. :cool:

quote:

... not many cities in N.E.Somerset....

Well, Glenn, you give Bath as your location, which is a city, and not too far along the A4 is Bristol!

Re: the DIY spinner, I also meant to say that you can also use a trace-wire crimp, uncrimped, over the wire shaft to keep the two ends of the clevis apart. Easy-peasy really .. especially for small trout which will have a go at most things until their brains develop :D

DG

quote:

Originally posted by The Diamond Geezer:

[QBWell, Glenn, you give Bath as your location, which is a city, and not too far along the A4 is Bristol!

DG [/QB]

Fair point D.G. :) I always put that because nobody has ever heard of our village of Leigh-on-Mendip, about half an hour from Bath.

But anyway, my contraption lasted several casts before I let it sink too far and it snagged. Incidentally, how big a vane would you be looking at? 5p coin size? I was seriously tempted to just bend a 5p, drill it twice and attach a couple of split rings.

Worms did the trick for the trout in the end

cheers

quote:

my contraption lasted several casts before I let it sink too far and it snagged.

Incidentally, how big a vane would you be looking at? 5p coin size? I was seriously tempted to just bend a 5p, drill it twice and attach a couple of split rings.

cheers

quote:

my contraption lasted several casts before I let it sink too far and it snagged.

Well, with chest-waders you'd have got it back from your little brook!

DG

Modifying or defacing the realm's coinage is still classed as a serious crime, unquote

Anyway, a coin isn't thin enough and would hardly spin :rolleyes:

DG

quote:

Worms did the trick for the trout in the end

:rolleyes:

DG

[ 10. April 2004, 06:04 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

quote:

..... nobody has ever heard of our village of Leigh-on-Mendip, about half an hour from Bath.

Yup, I see your problem now, tackle-shop-wise: in Leigh upon Mendip, you're in the middle of nowhere .. and as for your little local brook and its trout, I'd have thought some thigh-waders would be a good plan ... to recover your lures etc , land & release your fish and to reach the parts that other anglers can't reach

DG

[ 11. April 2004, 09:45 AM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]