Improvise a trout lure?

GlennB

quote:

Originally posted by GlennB:

Worms did the trick for the trout in the end

Ho-hum, Glenn

Have you double-checked the ED/DEFRA By-laws for your region? Thought they say that only flies or lures are permitted for non-migratory trout at this time of year .. i.e. 1st April onwards

DG

The Diamond Geezer:

Have you double-checked the ED/DEFRA By-laws for your region? Thought they say that only flies or lures are permitted for non-migratory trout at this time of year .. i.e. 1st April onwards

DG

Nah - that's salmon+migratory trout. Not too many of those in the Mells stream The byelaws state "North Wessex - All species in rivers,drains and canals - No maggot (or pupae), processed product, cereal or other vegetable matter during coarse fish close season"

In fact some local jokers use the worm loophole to fish the Frome in the close season, claiming they're "targetting" the trout in there.

Plead guilty to defacing coins tho. As kids we used to put ha'pennies on railway lines :)

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

quote:

Nah - that's salmon+migratory trout. Not too many of those in the Mells stream

The byelaws state "North Wessex - All species in rivers,drains and canals - No maggot (or pupae), processed product, cereal or other vegetable matter during coarse fish close season"

In fact some local jokers use the worm loophole to fish the Frome in the close season, claiming they're "targetting" the trout in there.

Yup, there are always jokers who bend the rules and cluck things up for everyone else :mad:

Meant to say that if you want to know more about DIY lure-making, there's a good article HERE and another about catching trout with lures HERE

DG

Thanks for those, D.G.

Just been over to Ebay and ordered a bunch of beads, fly tinsel and so on for a few quid (we have our very own parrot who sheds red+green feathers :cool: ), then up to a modelling shop asap from some metal sheet (brass?)

Wish I owned a lathe

I'm thinking in terms of various thicknesses of dowelling to make baby minnows and plugs etc. Also, is solder wire banned for fishing the way lead wire, I believe, is? Any advice appreciated.

[ 11. April 2004, 06:32 PM: Message edited by: GlennB ]

quote:

..... is solder wire banned for fishing the way lead wire, I believe, is? Any advice appreciated.

Lures are excluded from the lead-weight regs., but I'm not sure why you'd want to use soldering-wire anyway? Brass is a good alternative, and although is not as dense, has more flash.

See here for loads of DIY bits 'n' pieces

_____ Posted Image

Posted Image

DG

[ 11. April 2004, 08:43 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

The Diamond Geezer:

Lures are excluded from the lead-weight regs., but I'm not sure why you'd want to use soldering-wire anyway?

Because I have some? :D

Seriously - I was thinking of weighting up a hook with the wire, adding some fluffy stuff plus a bit of feather and calling it "a trout lure".

I recall an article a few years ago where a noted barbel angler added weight to his freeline setup with lead wire, and got a good b#llocking for it. Why would that be wrong, but with a lure OK? I can see that a fish might pick up the lead (plus bait) from a snapped off line, but surely that would pass through the fish? I thought the lead problem revolved around lead shot sitting in water-fowl crops for long periods, where the unreactive lead oxide coating would be constantly ground away and cause lead-poisoning. Maybe that's just 'a little knowledge'...

Just curious.

cheers

last year i was went to Bala lake on a camping site, some kids were catching small brown trout on maggots and i had nothin, out comes the wooden cane and a bit of mono i borrowed of the lads. I used a size 16 hook wrapped in cotton from a sowing kit, and i caught!

8 nice little brownies about 5 oz, my very first brownies.

Is lead totally band ? Just wondering as we use lead wire in the dressing of certain nymph patterns. Use the waste from my lead core usage.

Has lead core got lead in it or is it something else ?

Never thought about this before.

Hi Malcolm

My understanding is that lead shot of certain sizes (those likely to be taken into the crops of water-fowl for grinding their food) is banned.

My comment about lead wire being banned is not an informed opinion - just something I think I read somewhere.

cheers

vi) Prohibition On Use Of Lead Weights. Regional Byelaw 19

Confirmed 29th May 1987

Date of implementation 1st June 1987

• No person shall use for taking salmon, trout, rainbow trout, freshwater fish or eels in any waters any fishing line to which is attached, directly or indirectly, any lead in the form of a lead weight.

This does not apply when:

• Lead weight of 0.06 grams or less, commonly called Dust Shot (number 8)

• Lead weights greater than 28.35grams. This is a weight heavier than 1oz.

• For the purpose of this byelaw ‘lead’ includes any alloy or compound of lead. Lead-weight includes split shot or any other thing suitable for weighting fishing lines which is neither incorporated and fully enclosed in the core of a fishing line or in the construction of a swim-feeder, a self-cocking float or a fishing lure.

A fishing lure is any device, including a fishing fly, which is designed to attract fish and which incorporates a fishing hook.

...unquote

Hey guys, don't scale or guess, just read the bylaws on the EA website :rolleyes:

DG

[ 14. April 2004, 08:02 AM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]