My cool job!

Guest Bretty

• 31 years later...
Guest Bretty

Hi all,

I just got me a job last week, just for summer! (Thats harder then you think, see i'm a student and working is just something you don't do!)

Anyway after turning down numerous jobs from the agency including dustman work, handling raw meat and packing coleslaw I eventually landed a job for a large supermarket chain. I got this job as an orderpicker. I just whizz around on these little forklift sorta pallet truck things (an SL20 for those of you in the know) shifting pallets. It really is cool fun racing round on these things and i've got some money now, (cheques in the post elton wink.gif)

All sounds good and it is when you working in the ambient side where it's room temperature. It's just recently i've been put in the fridge at around 4'C which i thought was cold til they stuck me in the freezer yesterday afternoon. A massive warehouse at -28'C eek.gif That is the coldest i've ever been in my life!! My nose stopped running tho coz my snot had frozen after not even a minute wink.gif, And you can feel your face and ears freezing if you don't wear a balaclava (sp?) it's really quite amazing. I've never experience that before i'll never complain i am cold ever again.

Anyway i just thought that was quite interesting. It's been quit a shock to my system and despite wearing some really warm gloves my fingers are still numb. Has any one else been in this sorta environment? How do you do it?

Cool job huh! wink.gif

Bretty

[This message has been edited by Bretty (edited 16 July 2001).]

Guest Fatboy

Hi Bretty

According to my 2 nephews, holiday jobs are as rare as the proverbial rocking horse do-do

A couple of years ago, I went to Imatra, in South Eastern Finland (about 10 miles from the Russian border) in late January. The warmest it got to was the day of arrival in Helsinki where it was -8 Celcius. On one morning, I walked 400 metres from the paper mill's guest house to the offices.

It was -43 Celcius.

In this country, it is naturally humid, and therefore the cold is much more unpleasant.

In Finland, the atmosphere was incredibly dry

and apart from a natural tendency to become

charged with static electricity, was not unpleasant - until you are stood outside and decide to cough! It is as if your throat has been ripped out. Also a killer, is if the wind blows. It will penetrate anything.

I dont care whether it's -5 or -25 degrees - it is still minus too many!

Alan

------------------

ANMC Member

Guest Alan Taylor
Originally posted by Bretty:

Hi all,

).]

Good for you Bretty, with regards to the cold, a decent meal before you go to work helps. Don't the firm supply clothing for the cold? Health and safety in the work place should cover this. Keep the extremities covered. Thermal socks and gloves, scarf, balaclava,

lined boots and a pair of tights or a body stocking,I kid you not. I can't remember the exact times but a square of ordinary chocklate every 10 to 15 minutes. Avoid alcahol and sweating. And lastly, ask the older hands advice, they will like being asked and could save you some pain.

I am surprised you turned down the dustmans job, they make good money and the perks ie copper, lead, and nick naks add up to a lot of cash at the end of a month.

------------------

ANMC Founder Member. Support Anglers Net & reap the benefits, join ANMC today.

Guest dave k

Hi bretty

I have worked in both extremes in my job in the meat trade.

-20 in a freezer, and + blo##y hot working a frankfurter peeler, which is done by using steam.

never thought i would get used to them, but after a few days you dont even think about it smile.gif

mind you i am geting older now rolleyes.gif so i might suffer a bit if i tried it now. tongue.gif

------------------

dave kennedy USSC Angling

Guest Andy Thatcher
Originally posted by dave k:

Hi bretty

I have worked in both extremes in my job in the meat trade.

-20 in a freezer, and + blo##y hot working a frankfurter peeler, which is done by using steam.

never thought i would get used to them, but after a few days you dont even think about it html>