upgrades

KBONE

Hi all not been on for ages.

I have just received my broadband easy install kit, tried to install but windows 98 is not compatable, how do I upgrade my computer to windows millenium 2000, is it some thing I can do my-self.

Sounds like the broadband modem is USB. Is there any chance you can get it replaced by an ethernet modem? If so, 98SE (second edition) will run fine. Better IMO than messing with USB networking.

If USB is the only choice, say exactly what broadband device as there may be ways to make it work.

Windows ME (millenium edition) and Windows 2000 are different operating systems. The upgrade is certainly something you can do yourself although it may require replacing some of your hardware. Video is the most likely. There are easy ways to see if your stuff will run though.

You have to buy a copy of the new OS you want and I would strongly recommend Win 2000 pro over ME.

First thing is to post what 98 version you have, what hardware it is running on (CPU type and speed, amount of memory, size of hard drive(s), etc.) and specifics on the broadband modem.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Thanks Newt, The modem is a usb adsl bt voyager 105 that came with the aol broad band kit, aol said i would need at least windows 98se to run broadband i got a 98se disc but it will not upgrade my system, it says you need to by an upgrade, if i get the win 2000 pro will it come as a disc that is just put in to the disc drive.

Win2K will come on a CD and if you put the CD in while 98 is running, it should offer you the option to upgrade from 98 to 2K. Watch the prompts though since what you want is to load 2K OVER 98 so that all you have on the system is 2K.

Your programs and the like should not be affected and should run fine after the upgrade.

I would suggest that before you do the upgrade you empty all your temp folders, empty your browser's temporary internet files and cookies then do a scanreg, scandisk, and defrag. You will want to load 2K on the cleanest possible system and the above will help get it that way.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President