New to the idea but hopefully not for long!

John Mason

Hi all,

Found this forum the other day while researching kayak fishing on the www. I'm seriously thinking about taking it up myself!

No previous experience although did a bit of river canoeing years ago. I've been shore and boat fishing between Aberystwyth and Tywyn (especially at Borth)for years and years, and what really appeals to me is the idea of relaxing evenings on calm seas chasing the mackerel shoals about. When the surf's running I'll be stood casting into it for rays, turbot and bass, but flat calms are pretty poor for shore fishing round here. What better than to launch and drift down the coast half a mile out!

I'm hoping to get kitted out fairly soon and shall be watching this forum with avid interest. Once I do get sorted, I wonder if I could tag along with any people who fish this coast? There's obviously stuff to learn with safety which tells me not to go alone at first.

Cheers - John

Hi John. Welcome to AN.

A few of us are heading your way in a week or so after the tope (I'm hoping to make it too). I would have thought you won't have time to kit yourself out and become with familiar with the kayak before this meet. However if anyone of us heads up that way again I'm sure a post will be made beforehand.

Is there a particular kayak you have in mind?

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Welcome John,

Before you buy anything, heard yesterday that Ocean Kayak have a couple of new Angling version models coming out, not sure about timings yet, but will post as soon as I know more.

Having said that the models we are all using are pretty tried and tested now and any problems have been mentioned on this forum.

Read everything and ask as many questions as you like.

SM:)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Thanks!

I too doubt I'll be kitted up by then but it would be good to meet you guys at launch and get a look at the sort of kit/layout you find best.

I liked to look of the 13ft Prowler myself. I am tempted by the 15ft for the extra space but not sure where I'd keep it!

I know a lot of good inshore marks easily reached by a launching at Tywyn, and if the weather was settled into the Autumn some of these would be well worth a try for codling. One thing I am unsure about is how late in the year the season can be pushed to. Although I guess a drysuit with lots of warm clothing underneath would offset sea temps in the event of a ducking.

On that topic, what do people recommend - wetsuit or drysuit?

Cheers - John

There are a number of clothing options and these depend in part on the seasons you plan to fish.

A breathable dry suit costs £££ but with thermal layers worn underneath will see you through the colder water temp seasons. A dry cag and trouser combo with suitable undergarments is a versatile compromise.

There are a number of wetsuits with very flexible neoprene on the market and this would be something to consider too.

'Farmer John' salopette style wetsuits and shorties would be ok for the warmers months. I have a dry suit for the normal and colder days/water temps, and a neoprene farmer john for the really hot ones.

So far I've just worn my dry suit, finding that it breathes so well I don't get sweaty inside even on the hot days I've been out preferring to keep the sun off my body and not baking! I'm hoping to wear my farmer john at least once this year though!

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

I'm thinking about pretty much following the shore-fishing season which is April-late December. Outside of this time although I do fish it's unspectacular. Sea temps hereabouts are pretty good through the Autumn months, with April often being colder than November, this especially being the case this year. As a busy amateur weatherman I can see the odd good opportunity for fishing late into Autumn if a slow-moving large anticyclone sits over the E UK giving this area gentle and mild S winds.

The drysuit option does seem to be a versatile option, especially as you say it doesn't cook you during the Summer months. The main thing is it does the job if you are fishing in colder conditions, where avoiding hypothermia is the big issue.

Thanks for the info!

John

If you go the drysuit route be careful if you choose a nylon based suit. I have a goretex one which cost a bomb - however many of the nylon based suits are heavier,less efficient at breathing and may be too much in warm/hot conditions.

I asked a few sellers on ebay after they had sold their nylon suits why they had sold them and they all said they were sweat buckets.

However, I've heard that the nylon suits are getting better all the time. There are some on the market which rival the goretex in breathability whilst being cheaper - I never managed to find out which brands they were though.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Hi john,

any of us will be happy to help you with making decisions - bounce ideas off us and then make up your own mind. Another good source of info for you would be the Welsh Sea Kayaking Association.

Much of what we use for touring can be applied to fishing.

Many expedition kayakers have eschewed the dry suit - because they invariably end up leaking. The rubber seals perish. The zips go, which then leaves you with a 2' gaping hole for water to get in - and it will - leaving you sitting in a damp puddle.

For fishing I use a pair of neoprene chest waders, Snowbees are about £60. By stocking foot waders, not boot foot. Then you only need a pair of sandals or neoprene booties to war over the top to take the wear and tear, the waders provide the warmth/waterproofness. However, in the sun you do sweat and come ashore damp. Also clumsy when nature takes it course - always a struggle and then that empty beer bottle comes in handy :D

In the summer I just wear tropic wading gear - fast drying trousers and a Patagonia type shirt. Mine came from Bass Pro Shops - their Worldwide Sportsman brand is made by Patagonia and is excellent quality and very good value. The shirt was $15 and the trousers $20 (I wish I had bought a couple of sets - they were on offer!) Both are sun protection factor 40, which prevents sunburn where they cover you up. My hands go like crisps though (I hate gloves).

Come and see us on Sat week. We'll be a gang then.

Cheers,

Simon.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Many expedition kayakers use a dry suit because they are so good!My dry suit comes with a lifetime guarantee. The seals do need replacing every few years.. you look after them with 303 protectant. As for the zips going - they shouldn't if you look after them - back to Kokatat for a free repair if it should happen.

[ 14. June 2005, 01:45 PM: Message edited by: Speciman ]

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

John,

There are many options on what to wear, Wetsuit, Drysuit, Paddle Clothing, all have their place and their followers, it's really down to what you find the most comfortable, and is right for the conditions.

I am working on an article for AnglersAfloat which will cover some ideas on what can be worn, along with long term tests of the chosen gear.

If you just want to get paddling during the summer, get a long john and a windproof top that will fit over your PFD, that way you can take it off if you get too hot. It's the cheapest option until you know what you want.

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com