Record & Specimen System

Kieran Hanrahan

A standard measure could be produced by the NFSA or the BRFC which could incorporate a holographic image or something similar which would show up in a photograph to deter any cheats ( I understand they exist even in our noble sport). If we move away from weights there is no need to measure girth, after all it only tells you if the fish is pregnant or fed well lately and is a Tope heavily in pup at 70lb a better fish than a non pregnant 60lb fish?

I take the point about shark though you certainly don't want to have to lift one of those on board and then get it to sit still on a measure! so perhaps the sling idea and a continued use of weights should be used for these species and conger too come to think of it!

The number of potential record fish that are returned nowdays means that the record fish list is a bit of a nonsense anyway.

In the interests of our continued sport I say as far as possible scrap the weights.

What is there to lose?

Paul

Scrap the weights...

I'm very much inclined to agree. I've delisted the record and speciment weights for the fish for which the ISFC insists on physical evidence (dead fish, and the list is remarkable, even mackerel!) and will be writing to them to elicit their policy. What is the policy on record and specimen fish in the UK? Any contacts available?

Kieran Hanrahan

Catch this release... www.sea-angling-ireland.org

Hello Kieran

I have written to the isfc a number of times to express similar concerns, they do not want to know. They are very set in their ways and are slow to change, they have resisted it for years.

Having said that there are a lot of record hunterS out there, and their support keeps the isfc going, i cant see them changing their ways either.

good luck

ADAM

Problem is you can only really validate the weight of a fish on a calibrated scales in front of impartial witnesses. There is no other way around it and it won't change no matter how disagreeable it is to your own judgment. Where the change lies is in anglers' attitudes. Change the "I win the big fish prize" attitude to a "wow, what a big fish, back you go" attitude and you'll break down the record system. If record holders realise that many bigger fish are being caught and returned unmeasured they're only fooling themselves and a few other ego trippers.

The Sea Angler mag "big fish awards" works quite well and could be adopted as a form of framework for awards rather than records. Get angling clubs, tackle dealers, skippers, etc to witness the fish or validate the photo and send it on for an award from the relevant body (?) What do you guys reckon?

Neil.

Speaking of dodgy pics, when are people going to stop holding their fish way out in front of themselves in order to make the fish appear massive in the pictures :D but I get the point Neil, I think the records needs to be consigned.

Kieran Hanrahan

Catch this release... www.sea-angling-ireland.org

Allegedly the UK shore caught record Common Skate that was caught up here on the Isle of Lewis, was caught and then taken on a journey of over 12 miles in the back of a pick-up to be legitimately weighed by proper scales at the local fish mart in Stornoway, and then the fish was let loose in Stornoway Harbour ......... whether the fish survived the ordeal or not, I do not know. In my eyes this was unjustified, and caused enormous amount of stress to the fish. The angler whom caught it was allegedly targeting them all week ... so in my eyes should of be equipped better to get an accurate measurement of the fish, without the fish having to through all the un-necessary stress ... just so an angler could get the glory.

I did fish a club knockout competition out of Thurso last year, and it used the specimen fish points system, where you caught a fish and showed the skipper and he took note of it and it was thrown back alive, regardless of its size you got the points. I found the points system a complete sham and a joke, as an angler catching a 10 pound Cod got the same points as one catching a tiny wee 20cm long Codling. In my eyes it promoted targeting smaller fish in a sense, as they can be wound up quicker ... and gives you more time to catch more fish, where as if you were into a bigger fish it takes more time to wind up the fish, and less time to fish for other fish ... in a sense. Also another problem I found with this system is that when there was a number of fish coming aboard, it was open to flaws ... with a number of anglers not having fish they caught recorded, on a boat of around 12 anglers.

I think for a catch and release points system in competition, possibly using length of fish and specimen of fish points would be a better idea.

There are lots of different points of views that can promoted regarding this, each one with valid points, but trying to get accuracy is the problem. Despite the accuracy problems I would like to see is another way of recording skate and shark, possible going by measurements and girths, and in this day and age possibly photographic evidence.

This topics a real thinker, as there is so many different ways of looking upon it, each with different points of view.

Gillies

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com