Anyone fish in the winter ?

Hake

I was planning to fish through the winter wearing my 5 mil wetsuit and cag like Zzippy, along with thick neoprene booties.

I've got a variety of neoprene hoods to try if its really cold - you lose most of your body heat through your head and with these it doesn't matter if you get wet.

What sort of species do we get in the winter to fish for along the stretch of S coast from Southampton water to Weymouth?

Down here we can target cod, whiting, flounder, pollack (maybe more Purbeck area), herring (near Brownsea) + theres a chance of a ray of some description all year round.

[ 04. September 2005, 10:07 PM: Message edited by: SpeciMan ]

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

im looking to finding a kayak artner before i consider winter fishing i just wont be happy on me own in sutch interesting conditions like scuba diving its best to have a buddy any volunteers withing reasonable reach of london put ya hands up :D

beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

KAYAK :ok scupper pro (green)

launches 2009 1

species caught 1 cod

Speciman, how close inshore do the cod come? Are they spread all along our stretch of coast or are there hot spots? The family would be well impressed if I managed to catch one.

Hungry - if you're ever down Bournemouth / Purbeck way put a post up - I'm keen to get out with some fellow yak fishermen having only just started myself.

Rich - new game to me too & it will be my first cod season yakking. Zzippy and I will be out in full force for them this year, hopefully you will be able to join us. I am confident that cod and whiting can found at certain marks within a mile or so in the Christchurch Bay area (plus there are marks in Poole bay which can produce too - so I've heard).

Cod certainly come out from the Christchurch Ledge area. The cod may not be in any great numbers (although some big uns come out every year from the boats) but there should be plenty of whiting about. A fish finder will be a must for us when looking for features over the ledge to fish. It may take a little while/few attempts to find our spots.

I plan to try some solent marks for them too from the yak. Lepe and Pennington Marsh are two places I have in mind.

What I will say with confidence is that if you have beachcasting equipment, you can use the kayak to take yourself over to the bridging camp section of Chesil beach (about a 1 min paddle!) and fish for codling from the shore (many in the 5-6lb range are taken from there.. perfect for the table). If its calm we were thinking of taking the yaks over and launching off Chesil beach itself.

Then there are the Purbecks themselves. Not very familiar with this area especially from a kayak. Codling do get pulled out from marks along here though (am thinking Fossil Forest area a bit off shore from there near Lulworth as another place I would like to put a big squid bait out in the depths of winter). There are lots of places for us to find and crack in the Dorset area.

We'll be starting our Poole Harbour flounder fishing in about 4 weeks time - another table species we're interested in catching.

[ 05. September 2005, 12:42 PM: Message edited by: SpeciMan ]

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

looks like ill be heading to pool area lol

hmm flounder them fishy with a penchant for spoons lol it makes me realise i have a lot to learn and species to catch

if to do head to poole i wont have a clue lol not even where to launch etc what ill do when i hav saturdays spare ill let you peeps know and come down either friday night sleep in me car go back sunday :D do tope pups go near poole btw?

launches 2009 1

species caught 1 cod

Like HF I intend to fish this winter with a Cag and Bib and Brace Trousers, under these I'm going to try a long sleeve vest and long john which are designed for dingy sailing and kayaking, I will be reviewing the underwear on AnglersAfloat once the weather turns. I also hope to try out some 1.5mm socks which will go in my 5mm boots.

Have been talking to Palm and hope that they will be able to give us all some guidance.

Most important thing to remember is to keep your body and Head Warm, I've always found that my kidney area is the first to get cold and an area that is important to keep warm. Dress to get wet, cos you will.

Like has been mentioned before, a space blanket takes up little space costs little money and could save your life, pack one.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

i have neo bootys paddle trousers cag may get a head neoprene cover lol tbh in winter ill strip my gear right down cos with experience to mutch fiddling makes ya hands numb would rather paddle about or something lol

launches 2009 1

species caught 1 cod