Haven't Been Sea Fishing For Some Time Is It Worth Going?

nick_gilbert

I retired my sea gear to the loft a few years back as I was finding it more difficult to catch sizable fish, I used to spend many hours collecting peelers, and digging worms, but the effort I was putting in for very little reward seemed time wasted. So I have only fished in freshwater for around 5 years.

But recently a workmate asked me about fishing in the sea and seemed very keen on a trip, I wasn't thinking of trying to be too ambitious fish wise just a trip out one evening for a few whiting, I'm sure a few of you fish the North Kent coast around the Medway. or possibly Whitstable, or the Swale (places I used to go), do any of you fish these areas and do you catch a great deal?

Nick, now is the time for plenty of rod tip nodding action around the Medway from whiting and pout (especially pout!) with a remote chance of a codling or decent bass thrown in.

Big tides after dark for the best chance of some bigger whiting.

Tight Lines - leon

http://www.anglers-net.co.uk/medway

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Sea fishng to be honest is very poor. some Pouting, Whiting , etc. i cannot imagine who would want to catch Pouting anyway. There is the small chance of Bass, or small Codling. Nowadays, decent fish are scarce. Even the humble flattie is vanishing. if you havn't spent any money yet, I would keep it in your pocket, unless you are going to be satisfied with tiddlers.

You mentioned the Swale, used to be my favourite spot. I have fished it 6 times this year, and not even a flounder, let alone a decent Bass. I never used to catch less than 6 flounders there.

Edited by maidstonemike

Thanks for the info guys

maidstonemike

I used to fish the Swale quite a lot, Conya, Harty ferry, and Kinsferry Bridge, must have been around the late 80's to early 90's, had some massive catches of flounders/eels in the late spring around May/June, and the odd bass, are most of these fish gone?

Also I had some good nights fishing at Whitstable from late October to early December, cacthing decent eating sized whiting, plus the odd cod, I used to like it there because it was normaly deserted, having the whole beach to myself was better than going somewhere like Hythe where you would be lucky to get a spot!!

Hi Nick, well well, Conyer ! My playground as a kid! I used to love fishing the Swale from there, I walk accross the marshes to the corner where Conyer Creek enters the Swale. A couple of years ago I was catching Bass to 5LB, but this year nothing. Flounders have vanished, havn't seen an eel for years. No Bass either. Don't know about Whitstable, I usually fish Hythe beach. Plenty of Whitiing at the moment, but not much else. They will soon disperse, leaving the odd one or two. No Codling at all for years. Havn't caught a Plaice for years either, nor a Sole, although the odd one is caught. This year has been just about the worst years fishing in my life time.

Don't know what's happened, but if this Winter is as bad as last, I will consider giving up.

Sorry to be so glum, but that's how it is now.

Had to smile about your comment about Hythe beach being crowded. It's now mostly deserted, like everywhere. I very often am the only one there.

Edited by maidstonemike

Maybe you should take up freshwater fishing I reckon there are more fish in the Medway now that any time I can remember!!!

Hythe deserted? Blimey, most weekend nights along Princes Parade (and lots of other beaches) in the autumn up to about Christmas it was lined with lights of people fishing. Dosen't anyone go now?