Abu 506

Guest Big G

The 506 can be "fixed" to allow the backwind facility, I remember when I used to send my ones back for a service the buggers would "fix" them and put back the cogs we used to take out, I think that is how the 501 came about.

The 506 can be "fixed" to allow the backwind facility, I remember when I used to send my ones back for a service the buggers would "fix" them and put back the cogs we used to take out, I think that is how the 501 came about.

The 501 I had was the one with a red spool cover but no star drag like the 505. There was a different 501 brought out a few years later. We used to allow them to backwind by taking out a couple of washers if I remember correctly.

DF

The 501 I had was the one with a red spool cover but no star drag like the 505. There was a different 501 brought out a few years later. We used to allow them to backwind by taking out a couple of washers if I remember correctly.

DF

I believe the later 501 (the one with the black spool )came with the backwind facility and it was the 506 we took the washers out of.

I believe the later 501 (the one with the black spool )came with the backwind facility and it was the 506 we took the washers out of.

The original 501 could also backwind if you took the washers out. I think it had a slower retrieve than the later 501.

DF

Would have to reccomend the 501 or 506M my self for the back wind facility. Been using a pair of 501's since 1983 and cant fault them.Number one reel for waggler fishing in my book.£25-£30 for a good condition one. Didnt rate the much later 1044 or Diplomat in the same league.

Yep got to agree the 501's the best of the bunch by far.

Tigger