Indian River Lagoon Coast Fishing Report

Captain Tom Van Horn

Indian River Lagoon Coast Fishing Report, November 7, 2005

Mosquito Coast Fishing Charters

Fishing conditions on the IRL coast have shown significant improvement since the passing of Hurricane Wilma, with the bite improving as well. Water levels are still high and higher levels of tannic stained runoff (brown water) are still present, but in most areas of the lagoon, the water clarity is improving nicely.

This past week a high-pressure system dominated our weather bringing magnificently sunny days, gentle northeast breezes, and mild temperatures, but the high pressure and turbid water made catching tough early in the week. As the week progressed, the bite improved.

On Friday, I fish with a group of 40 guides supporting the Ring Power convention organized by Captain Tom Carver. The event was set up as a mini slot redfish tournament, and out of all those boats, Captain Mark Wright took top hook with five slot redfish. Our only slot fish was caught by working a green weed less Ribbit Frog made by Stanley Jigs early in the day on the edge of the mangroves.

On Saturday, I fished a two-boat charter with Captain Kevin Mulligan. My anglers were John Kroger and his fishing buddy Mike from Denver. We started the day fly-fishing at the south power plant in Port Saint John, and we worked over the ladyfish for a good hour before John and Mike had enough. While on the subject of the power plants, they are currently loaded with ladyfish and jacks, but the manatee restrictions go in effect on November 15th, so if you enjoy the continues action of fishing the outflows, you only have a few days left. After we departed the power plant, we headed to the east shore where we ended up catching eight slot redfish and several nice sea trout between us. Sight fishing was tough due to the water conditions, so we opted to soaking ladyfish chunks in areas of bait schools in about two feet of water.

On Sunday, I fished a four hour charter with Steve Smith and his good friend Jim, and we started the morning working jigs with RipTide 4” Swimming Mullet at the power plant, and they warmed up on the fast and furious action of the ladyfish. Once Jim and Steve grew tired of the slaughter, we moved to the east shore for some top-water trout action. While polling into the flat, I spotted school of sizable reds in deeper water, but before we could poll into position, a lagoonoramus in a johnboat blew across the school sounding them. For the next hour we quietly waited for their return, but again before we could get within casting range another boat buzzed the area. We finally staked out in the vicinity and chunked out ladyfish, and we ended the day with one break off, 15 hard heads, several sizable sea trout, and one nice 20-pound redfish.

On a side note, remember that spotted sea trout are out of season in November and December, and you should have seen the look on the face of the unacquainted angler cleaning trout at the dock at Port Saint John, when the FWC Officer walked up and informed him of the regulations with a ticket.

As always, if you have any questions or need information, please contact me.

Good luck and good fishing,

Captain Tom Van Horn

www.irl-fishing.com

407-366-8085 office

407-416-1187 on the water

866-790-8081 toll free

Skank