Cornwall

coxie

Evening all! I'm a regular on the coarse fishing forum, first time here! I am spending some time in Camborne, Cornwall and would like some information on local sea fishing, preferably something I can do with my existing coarse (pike) tackle.

I have fished the Hayle River a couple of times from the St Ives side and caught some school bass on sand eel on a running leger. :D

Are there any local hotspots you could tell me about, either beaches or rocks or harbours, and what methods, baits should I use?

Thanks people.

Coxie, what time of year are you going.

Cannot help much for that area but it must be the same sort of fishing on the North coast where I go.

Let us know when you are going.

Dave

ANMC Founder Member. Always learning

Hello Coxie,

I go to Cornwall a couple of times a year but mainly in the summer. Fishing off the rocks on the island at St Ives under the coastguard station is good for pollock and gar fish (float fished sandeel or retrieving small redgills).

Also, try fishing from the ledge just under the Minnack Theatre at Porthcurno beach. Walk down to the where the beach begins and look to your right and you will see a path that will take you below the theatre. You will see a flat ledge, fish from there. In summer good for mackerel, gars and pollock, but they also get turbot and rays. I have no idea how these places fish in the winter months though.

Mounts Bay is also supposed to be good for bass and flatties? Your best bet is to ask in the tackle shops though. I'm sure they will help you out.

Let us know how you get on.

Ian

Thanks Ian, a tackle shop is probably my best bet. I guess most of the rock marks will produce in summer. But I'm here now! I caught Bass from the Hayle River in September, I presume they would come in with the tide all year round, although two subsequent visits resulted in blanks!