Eel Section Baits

Dick Dastardly

No doubt in my mind that they take baits head first.(sorry that should read "swallow" not "take")It was just that Nige intimated that they could detect which end was the head end with even a middle (therefore head and tail less) section. I think there may be some thing in what he says as I wonder if the fish Ive unhooked which have had the hooks in a different position/order to normal were caused by striking with a section which was mounted un knowingly the wrong way round.Think about some of the hook ups you get with a delayed strike whilst trolling with live baits?

Zed,re Zander,Ive never done anywhere near as well on frozed roach etc as Ive done on freshly caught and killed ones.With the eel sections Ive never noticed a difference frozen or fresh.I dont rate sea deads at all, all though I know some do.

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Yeh as i said they do swallow their prey head first, as does a snake or a bird of prey. As you point out the fins ,scales,limbs fold or point away from the head so the pyey slides down easily.

They don't allways grab their prey by it's head though they grab it the best way they can and then turn it around so it goes down the hatch head first. Obviously if a pike's prey is only very small in comparrison to itself (fry etc) it'll just swallow it any which way it can.

Tigger.

quite right tigger,they grab it any wich way they can,when using lives i have noticed the go for it across the jaws,prey being held horizontal,before turning it.

i used to watch my python eat live prey(illegal now i believe?) he always used to swallow head first.

strange how when i have stalked pike they can take an age to actaully pick up the bait other times they have it big time,straight away.

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!