Scientific Surveys

salmo6934

How much can we rely on reports from scientists doing survey on rivers.

The reason I ask is that it was stated that there were no fish that spawned in our river, as a survey had been done and they did not find any fry. There are plenty of parr, but these are the results of there stocking policy further up the system.

I have just spent the last month doing my favorite closed season pastime, watching the salmon digging redds and spawning in the river. I have done this for a number of years now, so I have concluded that I must be dreaming :blink:

Guest NickInTheNorth

Surveys are only a method used to evaluate what is happening, they are rarely exhaustive, and cannot look in detail everywhere.

It is possible that the salmon have spawned and that there are no surviving fry. All the eggs may have been eaten. Floods may have washed away the redds.

Best thing to do if you have serious concerns is contact the body responsible for the survey and give them your own findings. If you have recorded sufficient detail they may add your data into the research and it may have an impact on the outcome.

Surveys are only a method used to evaluate what is happening, they are rarely exhaustive, and cannot look in detail everywhere.

It is possible that the salmon have spawned and that there are no surviving fry. All the eggs may have been eaten. Floods may have washed away the redds.

Best thing to do if you have serious concerns is contact the body responsible for the survey and give them your own findings. If you have recorded sufficient detail they may add your data into the research and it may have an impact on the outcome.

Hi Nick,

If any one of above reasons you gave, which I agree with, had been given, I would not have written about it.

Just leaves a bit of doubt in the mind for any future statements they give .

Thanks for the reply.

Happy New Year.