Course Fishing In Kent - Where?

shrek

Hi guys,

I'm new to the course fishing forum, and have recently joined the sea fishing forum. I started sea fishing last year and 'got bitten by the bug' quite quickly, and ended the year with 3 rods and more tackle than I knew what to do with!! What do you know - santa ;) - brought me a fine set of course fishing gear for Christmas - 2 rod carp setup plus all the gear (shelter, seat bed etc. etc.), a telescopic rod and a fly rod / reels (I might have bought some of that and blamed it on Santa when my wife asked!! :lol: ).

Anyway, where do you suggest I start with course fishing this year. I live about a mile away from Leybourne lakes, which is carp fishing, although I've heard they are having difficulty with council costs and maintaining the place. I believe there are some good spots in Tonbridge for Lake and River fishing, but I'd really like to hear your views.

Guest rabbit

Hi Shrek and welcome. I have been fishing since well lets just say ages. I have found no need for shelters, bivvys , beds, bait boats or buzzers. To me the idea of fishing a river, with a float is pure enjoyment. So if I were you I would start this way, because I can almost guarantee that it will be fantastic fun. As far as session fishing on a commercial carp lake then that is a totally different story. I just dont have the patience to do that! Mind you I'm not adverse to catching the buggers off the top in the summer, heart stopping stuff.

I know what you're saying Rabbit, but I just want to give everything a try. I've got the telescopic rod so that I can ride down the Medway with a mate and just float fish where ever we feel like stopping / looks good.

Thanks for that riverside. I've had a quick look but going to work now so will scrutinise that site tomorrow.

Guest rabbit
I know what you're saying Rabbit, but I just want to give everything a try. I've got the telescopic rod so that I can ride down the Medway with a mate and just float fish where ever we feel like stopping / looks good.

Thanks for that riverside. I've had a quick look but going to work now so will scrutinise that site tomorrow.

You planning on fishing a river from a boat then??? Certain things you should know about when and where you can fish.

Is this a 'wind up' Rooney, or am I just being paranoid (again) :unsure:

Hi Shrek

If you are looking to start freshwater fishing a good place to begin would be a decent commercial fishery like Hartleylands or for carp fishing Monks Lake, or maybe try one of the numerous free sections of the river Medway.

A local club could be worth joining, Maidstone Victory has lots of waters around the area.

I would avoid Leybourne Lakes or similar waters till you have a bit more experience, as the fishing can be difficult especialy for a novice.

You planning on fishing a river from a boat then??? Certain things you should know about when and where you can fish.

Is this a 'wind up' Rooney, or am I just being paranoid (again) :unsure:

EEEERRRR - Not a boat rabbit no - I meant Ive got a telescopic rod so its easy to carry on my MOUNTAIN BIKE so that I can ride down the paths along the Medway and fish where I like (in the free parts). Sorry - should have made that a bit clearer.

ROONEY???? NO - JUST PARANOID AGAIN!!! :lol:

Edited by shrek

Hi Shrek

If you are looking to start freshwater fishing a good place to begin would be a decent commercial fishery like Hartleylands or for carp fishing Monks Lake, or maybe try one of the numerous free sections of the river Medway.

A local club could be worth joining, Maidstone Victory has lots of waters around the area.

I would avoid Leybourne Lakes or similar waters till you have a bit more experience, as the fishing can be difficult especialy for a novice.

Cheers for that. I have been told Leybourne is a difficult lake to fish. Apparently the council is putting up the lease cost next year by quite a restrictive amount (which will reflect in membership costs) anyway.

I also don't want to fish a water that is restricted to just carp. One of my mates likes to have one line in for carp and line on a float.

Guest rabbit
EEEERRRR - Not a boat rabbit no - I meant Ive got a telescopic rod so its easy to carry on my MOUNTAIN BIKE so that I can ride down the paths along the Medway and fish where I like (in the free parts). Sorry - should have made that a bit clearer.

Doh... :blink: Well thats ok!! Had a terrible vision of you in a G&T class cruiser, too much of that sort of thing around where I live :(

Take care :lol:

Doh... :blink: Well thats ok!! Had a terrible vision of you in a G&T class cruiser, too much of that sort of thing around where I live :(

Take care :lol:

Nope, my wife won't let me buy a boat, so you're safe!!

:P