PORTSOY

Grouse

Hi,, Has anyone been takin anything at Portsoy lately,,, I`ve had 4 blanks in a row at Lossiemouth pier this year so far and am gettin a bit peed off,, so I was gonna have a bash at Portsoy this week sometime, I`ve heard its good there,,,,,,,, Johnny,, Elgin, NE Scotland

Hi Grouse :) . Sorry I've no advise to give - I live way down South in Hampshire, it's just that I lived in Morayshire for a few years (bloody incomers ! ;) ) and 'Portsoy' caught my eye. Did a little bit of shore fishing along the coast there but never had much joy except for loads of small red cod off Lossiemouth peir. I guess I was doing it all wrong - no local knowledge and I was the only beach fisherman I ever saw ! Best day I had was watching the dolphins from that small pier at Hopeman. Interested to hear how the fishing is up your way. Like to come back for a visit some time :) .

DON'T PANIC

Hi Grouse :) . Sorry I've no advise to give - I live way down South in Hampshire, it's just that I lived in Morayshire for a few years (bloody incomers ! ;) ) and 'Portsoy' caught my eye. Did a little bit of shore fishing along the coast there but never had much joy except for loads of small red cod off Lossiemouth peir. I guess I was doing it all wrong - no local knowledge and I was the only beach fisherman I ever saw ! Best day I had was watching the dolphins from that small pier at Hopeman. Interested to hear how the fishing is up your way. Like to come back for a visit some time :) .

Hi Richard, Thanks for the reply,, I`m originally from Aberdeen but when I started fishing about 40 years ago you could dangle a bent pin over the end of the pier and get good fish, not the case nowadays. But last year the bug bit again and I kitted myself out with new sea fishing gear, but apart from some coalfish, flatties, ling and the dreaded crabs I`ve not caught much else. I`ve even been tempted to have a go at the local trout fishery but so far managed to stay on the sea shore. My mate is looking for a boat just now so when he gets that things will hopefully be better, certainly couldn`t get worse. Johnny. PS, If it wasn`t for incomers (mostly RAF) it would be dead up here.