Red Sea shore fishing not allowed

richard w

Dave are you saying you have not fished the Red Sea from Egypt, :huh: That has to be a first for you :D

It was many years ago when I used to fish it with a mate from dear old Higgs & Hills when we worked in Cairo so I may be well out of touch. However I have trawled for several hours out of interest and have found several references to sunbathing, fishing and deep sea fishing all in the same para. I did not find any statement banning shore fishing even after going over their DEFRA type site.

Did see shark fishing was banned commercially and interestingly diving for sea slugs because of over exploitation.

They are a friendly bunch over there and I am sure no one would lose a hand, may get it smacked but thats about all.

I am sure they would not want anyone fishing close to dive sites where the fish are often hand fed, have names and are local pets. :D

Edited by Ken Davison South Wales

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Norm B @ Jan 21 2006, 09:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

I also think there are places elsewhere that don't allow shore fishing, can't remember if it's the Seychelles or the Maldives,

Must be the Maldives - plenty of shore fishing was going on in the Seychelles when we were there - I even fished alongside a Seychelles police sergeant.

Quite correct - you cannot shore fish from the Maldives. For a start it wouldnt be very sporting - I was feeding the fish from bread held in my teeth - the water was boiling with fish. Most places there now you can't even feed the fish, which I can understand. The only fishing I could do in the Maldives was handlining from a "Dhoni" - their local craft. Still great fun but basic.

I would agree with trying snorkelling - incredible experience, I swam with a Whale Shark, sat in huge shoals of incredibly coloured fish, and generally spent my time looking for species I hadn't seen before.

I think the Red Sea is similar for species.

Try It!

Ken, the area I referred to was right at the north end of the Red Sea, near the Israili, Jordanian borders. I sought advice from the local tour guide, tourist police and local dive school. All of them stated that over the last 10 years the authorities have clamped down massively on shore fishing in this area. The marine sanctuary was apparently set up in 1995, a few years after this area was handed back to Egypt from Israel. The Egyptian government also apparently sought help from the EU, in how to go about establishing the sanctuary!!! No irony there then........

How long ago were you in Cairo? What an incredibly mad city that is :bigemo_harabe_net-165:

Maybe the area of El Gouna has different rules, as the coast is very long!

Cheerts Alan

Forgot to mention that when I was in the Maldives on honeymoon in 2003, I was told that shore fishing was prohibited, however that did not appear to stop the locals ;)

Deep sea fishing was awesome but quite expensive $100 for a 4 hour trip (including travelling to mark) Still managed a 35lb Dorado :D:D