Crescent Lake, Northampton

Sean Anderson

Has anyone tried this lake (near Brackmills Industrial Estate) recently and if so, how did you get on?

Visually, the lake looks good ... a decking walkway surrounds a decent size lake. A few reeds around the bank and what looks like fairly clear water ... tried a variety of baits (corn, meat and boilie) from the middle of the Brackmills side ... we had a couple of hours up there, one night after work and didn't get a single bite!

Only one other person fishing the lake, who was around the other side, so didn't get a chance to chat with him and see what he thought.

Regards,

Sean A

... that one won't get away again!

Has anyone tried this lake (near Brackmills Industrial Estate) recently and if so, how did you get on?

Visually, the lake looks good ... a decking walkway surrounds a decent size lake. A few reeds around the bank and what looks like fairly clear water ... tried a variety of baits (corn, meat and boilie) from the middle of the Brackmills side ... we had a couple of hours up there, one night after work and didn't get a single bite!

Only one other person fishing the lake, who was around the other side, so didn't get a chance to chat with him and see what he thought.

Sean, I drive past that area every day on my drive to work. Is this lake the one right next to the hotel just off the A45? Or is that Ransome Road Gravel pit? I live in Northampton and toyed with the idea of joining the Northants nene Angling Club but bottled it as I just dont know enough about the lakes and rivers in the Northants area. I`ve lived here 5 years but have only just got back into fishing recently. I grew up in Bletchley, Milton keynes and did all my fishing in the Grand Union Canal and the beacon AC. I ended up joining the MKAA instead as I knew all the waters. I do look at these lakes and rivers I drive past every day though and wonder if they`d be worth a go. Its hard though as I`ve asked on other forums in the past about these lakes and rivers and not had much response. Good luck if you try any others though, I`d be interested to know how you get on!

Sean, I drive past that area every day on my drive to work. Is this lake the one right next to the hotel just off the A45? Or is that Ransome Road Gravel pit? I live in Northampton and toyed with the idea of joining the Northants nene Angling Club but bottled it as I just dont know enough about the lakes and rivers in the Northants area. I`ve lived here 5 years but have only just got back into fishing recently. I grew up in Bletchley, Milton keynes and did all my fishing in the Grand Union Canal and the beacon AC. I ended up joining the MKAA instead as I knew all the waters. I do look at these lakes and rivers I drive past every day though and wonder if they`d be worth a go. Its hard though as I`ve asked on other forums in the past about these lakes and rivers and not had much response. Good luck if you try any others though, I`d be interested to know how you get on!

I think that the one you are referring to is different ... you mean the one by the big fly-over, where they waterski in the summer? That's definitely Ransom Road Gravel Pit and I've never fished it. Between that and the roundabout (on the left, if you leave the A45 towards town) is a section of the river that's nicknamed the Dead Arm (it's literally a dead end) which is usually swamped with lillies, as you'll see from the Google map - has a good reputation for pike fishing.

Anyway, I digress ... to get to Cresent Lake you would get off the A45 at the fly-over and turn out towards Bedford and it hides behind the industrial estate.

Based on what I have heard, the "town" fishing in Northampton is suffering from fish-theft, by in the influx of Eastern Europeans, which could explain the lack of action in Cresent Lake.

As you will have seen from my other post, we tend to head a little way out of town for some decent fishing. Stanwick seems a logical location and we quite often go to a place out near Daventry, off the A5.

Edited by Sean Anderson

Regards,

Sean A

... that one won't get away again!

I think that the one you are referring to is different ... you mean the one by the big fly-over, where they waterski in the summer? That's definitely Ransom Road Gravel Pit and I've never fished it. Between that and the roundabout (on the left, if you leave the A45 towards town) is a section of the river that's nicknamed the Dead Arm (it's literally a dead end) which is usually swamped with lillies, as you'll see from the Google map - has a good reputation for pike fishing.

Anyway, I digress ... to get to Cresent Lake you would get off the A45 at the fly-over and turn out towards Bedford and it hides behind the industrial estate.

Based on what I have heard, the "town" fishing in Northampton is suffering from fish-theft, by in the influx of Eastern Europeans, which could explain the lack of action in Cresent Lake.

As you will have seen from my other post, we tend to head a little way out of town for some decent fishing. Stanwick seems a logical location and we quite often go to a place out near Daventry, off the A5.

i quite often see them poaching out of the rivers and lakes, if only you were allowed to shoot people! with tasers of course

Hi Sean, I had heard of that lake before but have never seen it. It does look good, and quite well tucked away from anything too. Any idea who owns it and day ticket prices?

Sean, further to my previous reply I`ve just found something about Crescent Lake. This is what I found:-

"Barbel, bream, carp, crucian carp, perch, roach, rudd and tench. 1 rod allowed, No floating baits."

Its under the control of Castle Angling Association as seen here on http://www.fishinginnorthamptonshire.co.uk/clubwaters.html

Apparently its £6 for a day ticket according to the info found on the above site.

Sounds interesting doesnt it?