My local small river surprises me again!

Guest tigger

I was thinking there was more than a hint of silver to it…

Think you would have to hit it over the head and eat it to prove that one, but could be.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must admit that went through my mind as son as I saw it but as well as it's appearance it fought so hard "it was unbelievable". As soon as I hooked it it shot straight up out of the water a good two foot. I've caught numerous brownies in the past and none of them have ever come close to the battle this fish put up it just never stopped fighting. Actually I reckon that small fish out fought any fish I've ever caught. If it was a salty version no wonder people get addicted to catching them !

It's definitely a wee broonie. Sea trout lose the red spots, autumnal colours and the gold along the belly. The scales on a sea trout are also more pronounced and the mouth is usually larger in relation to their diet.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Funny you should post this Ian, i fished the River Teme yesterday, in search of barbel...it was tough going but at about 5pm I hd a small barbel at about 5lbs, the next cast nothing, or so I thought, but when Ii started to retrieve to recast a salmon had taken a liking to my worm bait...he then shot off at great speed and treated me to at least three leaps out of the water. i managed to net it and return it after reviving it in the shallows. not the biggest salmon at about 2 foot long but my first and quite a rare fish even for the Teme.

Fishing full of surprises :o

It's definitely a wee broonie. Sea trout lose the red spots, autumnal colours and the gold along the belly. The scales on a sea trout are also more pronounced and the mouth is usually larger in relation to their diet.

I'm not so sure after just finding these pictures on another site of their Sea Trout.

tiitpaver_sea_trout1_estonia.jpg

check out the spots and the mouth size next to mine below

trotheld31augweb.jpg

Rabbit, well done on catching your Salmon! :thumbs:

Thanks Ian

I had the same sort of problem identifying my salmon yesterday, I thought it was a sea trout originally, but the thin tail root and spots only above the lateral line it had to be a salmon.

As you know sea trout are only brown trout who go to sea, not all brownies will do that, and as to why they do it is a mystery.

Gotta say that fish looks like a Brownie to me, but what do I know I am only a salmon expert :D

Tigger, it's a Brownie. It's the most stereotypical, textbook perfect example of a wee Brownie you're likely to find. I don't have to refer to pictures or books to know when I'm looking at a Brownie. I've got a Brownie and Sea-Trout river 5 mins walk from here, that I've been fishing for 24 years. I've caught more Brownies than all the other species I've landed put together. I'm talking 1000s of the things, in all shapes and guises from all over Scotland, which is famous for it's Brownies. There are 100s of trout waters in my area, some of which I've been a member of. It's my favourite pike bait. I'm not asking for opinion on the matter. It's a brownie. I'd stake my life and my whole family's life on it. I'm sure you know a Tench when you see one. Well I know a Brownie when I see one and that's a Brownie. I'm 100% sure of it. Not 98% or 99%. 100%. It's a brownie....a Brown Trout....Salmo Trutta....a wee spotty....a broonie. When you catch a sea-trout, you'll know because it doesn't look like a brownie.

The picture you provided. They aren't sea-trout either. The same photograph from Google says they're "Juvenile sea trout" from River Vihterpalu - Estonia (Gulf of Finland). Copyright: Tiit Paaver. A juvenile sea-trout IS a brownie. It isn't a sea-trout until it's been to sea and migrated back upriver to spawn and since those fish have juvenile parr markings, I doubt they've had a sniff of the sea, never mind been there and back.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

In order to tell the difference between a Salmon and a Sea-Trout, form a loose grip round the tail-root of the fish and pick it up. If the tail holds a nice V-shaped wedge that supports the whole weight of the fish, it's a salmon. If the tail folds up and the fish slips through your grip, it's a sea-trout.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

Nice one Tigger!

I have had small brownies out of the duggie in the past and earlier this year my dad had a clonker which fought like a demon.

Im not sure which swim you pictured but if its where I think it is, his fish was only about fifty yards downstream, the other side of the bridge, opposite the big tree. The water level certainly looks much better now than it was, maybe time to give it another go...

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates