Flies for carp

singy

Can anyone help me with a few patterns for carp? I'm looking for reccomendations on pattern and hoping someone could tie a few up for me. Obviously there will be the chum mixer imitation :) But what natural patterns could I use?

Singy

Paul Singleton

• 4 weeks later...

Well I managed to get out a few times after the carp on the fly. Had great fun with the 7wt catching a couple of 20s and a load of high doubles at my first attempt. I am slowly gearing up for an atempt at 30lb + fish with my mind's eye set on a 40lb fly caught fish (we can all dream).

Successful flies were white boobies, Fulling Mill bonios and large Chernobal ants. I tried for quite a while with some slow sinking egg flies, large buzzers and large nymphs but these were ignored.

One of the fish did a phenominal 60-70 yard initial run. I'll need to get the 10wt out for the bigger fish, I felt pretty helpless on that fish for a while.

One thing's for sure is that it's very addictive.

fly.jpg

Fly-selection.jpg

result-20tl.jpg

Paul Singleton

• 2 weeks later...

I'd love to have a go for carp that size with the fly rod. I have quite a few trips each year to my local match lake and have had carp up to 13lb on the fly rod. It's great fun and they pull like stink but as it's a snake-lake arrangement you don't get the scorching 40 yard runs.

Common.jpg

Unfortunately all the other MKF waters are a bit too snaggy to attempt with my seven weight. Anyone got a bonefish rod they don't need anymore??!?

Robin

I'd love to have a go for carp that size with the fly rod. I have quite a few trips each year to my local match lake and have had carp up to 13lb on the fly rod. It's great fun and they pull like stink but as it's a snake-lake arrangement you don't get the scorching 40 yard runs.

Unfortunately all the other MKF waters are a bit too snaggy to attempt with my seven weight. Anyone got a bonefish rod they don't need anymore??!?

Robin

Cracking fish. If you ever fancy a go for a few bigger ones give me a shout. The place is Cemex Thorpe Lea. Place is full of fish, nearly all doubles up to 28. Fish can be a bit tatty (they came from Draton match venue). But it isn't exactly hard.

It's near thorpe park. Most swims are tight and casting is a problem, but the lake is pretty much weed and snag free and with careful feeding they can be eased into the bank.

Let me know if you fancy a trip over there and we can meet up. It's £10 a day.

Edited by singy

Paul Singleton

Cracking fish. If you ever fancy a go for a few bigger ones give me a shout. The place is Cemex Thorpe Lea. Place is full of fish, nearly all doubles up to 28. Fish can be a bit tatty (they came from Draton match venue). But it isn't exactly hard.

It's near thorpe park. Most swims are tight and casting is a problem, but the lake is pretty much weed and snag free and with careful feeding they can be eased into the bank.

Let me know if you fancy a trip over there and we can meet up. It's £10 a day.

I read your article on the RMC site the other day and was very jealous! I'd like to give TL a crack but isn't it going to be rammed out with kids now the summer is here?

Robin

I read your article on the RMC site the other day and was very jealous! I'd like to give TL a crack but isn't it going to be rammed out with kids now the summer is here?

Robin

It will be busy, but there are always fish to be found and fed and catch. :) I fished it twice over half term and had no problem catching a few.

Paul Singleton

It will be busy, but there are always fish to be found and fed and catch. :) I fished it twice over half term and had no problem catching a few.

In that case I'd love to take you up on the offer - I'll send you a PM to discuss if that's okay.

Robin