Billfish in Angola

Socksy Squirrel

Socksy Squirrel:

Hi there,

Does anyone know anything about fishing for marlin etc off the coast of Angola. Personal experiences or references to books, articles etc are all welcome.

Can't help you there but have just had a video (amature) that the lads took when the were in the Cape Verde Islands last year. Tuna, Bloody great sharks, and Sword fish to over 600lbs. They slept on the boat in harbour and had a great time.

They are going again this year.

What could help you is an email to Vagabond, the only place he has'nt fished is the moon and that only because they are still trying to find water there :D

When you go, could you send a post card please, see the non fishing section topic post cards :)

Have a good trip and how about a little write up with some pics when you get back :cool:

Alan

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Alan Taylor:

Alan Taylor:

Hi there,

Does anyone know anything about fishing for marlin etc off the coast of Angola. Personal experiences or references to books, articles etc are all welcome.

Can't help you there but have just had a video (amature) that the lads took when the were in the Cape Verde Islands last year. Tuna, Bloody great sharks, and Sword fish to over 600lbs. They slept on the boat in harbour and had a great time.

They are going again this year.

What could help you is an email to Vagabond, the only place he has'nt fished is the moon and that only because they are still trying to find water there :D

When you go, could you send a post card please, see the non fishing section topic post cards :)

Have a good trip and how about a little write up with some pics when you get back :cool:

Alan

Marlin, Dolphin

Am going to the Bahamas last week April, first week May.

Heavy duty rods and boat ready to just rock and roll.

I follow the drop off and expect to get plenty of Dolphin, Tuna and maybe a Blue Marlin!! They are running at the moment and I know the good spots now- got loads last year

Anyone interested in sharing costs and joining me?

Alan [/qb]

[/QB]

Hi,

I fished at a a newly set up fishing lodge in angola in 2002. I understand we were one of the first few brits to fish in the country. Henry gilbey wrote an article on the trip in this months sea angler. When I was there, the lodge was just being set up, so we were pretty much restricted to the shore or river mouth in small boats, but the fishing was phenominal First fish of the trip was a 150LB sand shark!

Since then the lodge has amall boats they troll the surf line with and catch Tarpon over 100lbs, and stack loads of GT's and other fish. Aboiut an hours drive from the lodge we fished the mouth of the Quanza river and watched schools of Tarpon around the 200lb mark busting on the surface beyond our reach all day with huge threadfin salmon amongst them. we heard a guy caught one of approx 150KG a few days before we were there, and that's over the official world record. Fish apporaching 200KG have been reported from there!

Now the lodge is now in with a game boat in the capital of Luanda, and can organise blue water fishing trips for Marlin, Dorado, etc. Luanda had it's first 1000lb+ marlin last year I believe!

I may return next year, though am personally more interested in the shore and inshore boat fishing. I have the tempting prospect of fishing in the Congo that may keep me away for a year o two yet though!

John,

Wherabouts in the Congo are looking at going? I used to live there till we were evacuated during the civil war in 97. Never fished there though, shame on me! I worked in Angola for years as well, in the oilfield, and all I ever managed was a few trips trolling past the gas flares on the supply boats after Yellowfin. A good laugh if a bit hot!

The potential is huge though, even if it if has been somewhat reduced by eastern european factory ships operating in the area. Mostly Bulgarian for some reason.

The place I'm looking at is about 1h45mins up river of the capital Brazzaville. I am in contact with a guy who hopefully can put me on to some Goliath Tiger fish as well as hopefully finding Catfish and Nile Perch. The place is pretty much unknown, but there have been some very big Goliaths caught there in recent years. It's a bit pricey at around 4 grand for a 2 week trip!

I fished a newly set up lodge on an island at the mouth of the Rio Longa in Angola. In the first couple of weeks of it opening there were Sand Shark, Cubera Snapper and Threadfin Salmon all caught over 100lbs from the shore. We had one trip to the mouth of the Quanza river and were amazed to find 2 other guys fishing there already! We caught a few stingrays there but spend most of the time there watching huge tarpon and threadfin salmon rolling well beyond casting range in the middle of the river. At Rio Longa we saw big Kingfish chasing in the breakers, but always just a few yards further than we could cst! They've since had tarpon topping 100lbs trolling the surf line. Also some small tuna species. Not sure if they're taken toe boats as far as the Quanza,to try for the real Tarpon!

Squirrel if you seriously want to fish Angola I would strongly suggest you contact Bronzie(Steve McGuire) at mola mola fishing(www.molamola.co.uk) he runs trips out that way to Angola and Namibia, as endorsed by Henry Gilbey et al.

He's a top bloke and will help you out whether you book with him or want to go it alone.

Squirrel if you seriously want to fish Angola I would strongly suggest you contact Bronzie(Steve McGuire) at mola mola fishing(www.molamola.co.uk) he runs trips out that way to Angola and Namibia, as endorsed by Henry Gilbey et al.

He's a top bloke and will help you out whether you book with him or want to go it alone.

The trip I was on was with Steve McGuire of Mola Mola. The lodge we went to has now established contacts with a game boat in Luanda and can organise game trips. They're rather pricey, but then all game fishing is pretty expensive.

The lodge is pretty popular though and you need to book a year or so in advance probably.