Choice of Leader

ef duck

After our last fishing trip to Eyebrook we have stumbled on a debate about choice of leaders. In the past I have always been told to use 4-5lb for dryfly or surface work and 6-8lb for sub surface (sinking lines) straight through, but after going on a trip to Eyebrook we were informed by some fellow anglers that they fish a 10lb leader all the time. Are the advantages of this so that it lays the leader out better and reduces knots? Or does it allow your buzzers / lures to get to depth quicker (as the fish were quite well down)? are there any other advantages? and what would you recomend as a leader for reservoir fishing (especially buzzer fishing)?

I know I have probably opened up a whole area of debate, but being relatively new to fly fishing I am trying to reduce my chances of knots and tangles but also for best presentation to the fish.

Many Thanks

Guest Complete Fisher

Choice of leader should be dictated by the fishing style rather than where you are fishing in the water column. If you are pulling lures then you want some substantial leader to make sure you don't get snapped off when the fish takes.

Buzzers will sink quicker using lighter (reduced diameter) line as they cut through the water easier with less resistance from the leader.

Chris