Strange session

thejesmonddingo

Went deadbaiting for pike today,had three runs,only landed one,an absolute screamer on a 6" section of lamprey.It didn't put up much of a fight on pike gear,and I was surprised to find a 5lb chub in my net,and no sign of the lamprey.

Ian

P.S.It's a PB coz I've never caught a chub before.

deadbaiting for pike,in this weather! :wallbash::angry:

not suprised at the chub taking a dead specially lamprey, they love it, they are predators.

BTW hope it WASNT a river.

Edited by Russell Fitzpatrick

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

Why is deadbaiting worse than lure fishing?

Ian

Its not the style or method mate - Some people don't like the idea of summer piking as the pike can be quite a delicate fish in this hot weather . They can exhaust themselves pretty quickly and unless well looked after and treated with kid-gloves , they can suffer a lot of damage including the possibility of fish deaths

well yes,

personally i dont fish with deads in summer or high temps if i do its when after zander wich normally takes place after dark,wich lessens teh chance of hooking up with pike.

see pike will and can readily engulf a deadbait in summer,when the water temps are high they are active and hungry and will take deads very very quickly,often taking the bait right back to the back of the throat or worse the stomach,also playing lively pike in high temps for too long,can kill them,they take ages to recover, if they recover.

its not fair on them really,lures often hook up in the front of the mouth(some soft plastics get engulfed tho) plus most(well i do) use very strong tackle for lure fishing,so the fish are played landed and released as quick as possible(often no photos or wieghing either)

ian,i dont mean to come across all high and mighty i'm just telling you what i know,i love pike as im sure you do.....give em a rest till autumn mate.

Edited by Russell Fitzpatrick

AKA RATTY

I use 40 lb braid for deadbaiting,and don't routinely take pictures.My catches are out of,and back into the water ASAP.I've only ever had one deep-hooked pike,which was on a lure,and recovered and swam away.I was fishing a reservoir,and,if you like,I'll start picking holes in your posts too.

Ian

woah! hold it there

i aint picking holes in anything,i'm telling you facts mate.

its up to you wether or not you want to pursue pike with baits in summer,most predator anglers my self inculded dont fish with baits for em in summer we use lures for the reasons i have outlined,funny enough i use 40lb braid for my bait fishing,still land em quicker on a jerkbait rod and 80lb braid tho :blink:

was you fishing dam flask?

AKA RATTY

thats alright mate

you could PM me :headhurt:

only reason i ask is i recently read a cracking article on chub on deadbaits from stillwaters,was in CAT mag,its mentioned in there,some chevins to over 7+

AKA RATTY