Hobie mirage drive

GB

When I first started looking at choosing a fishing yak I took a look at the Hobie Outback, I like the idea of having hands free fishing for trolling. I was put of by the size, at 12'1 and 34" wide it looks a bit of a barge and everywhere you look it say's not very good under paddle power(which kind of defeats the object of kayaking)

I have been looking at the Adventure which comes in at 16'0" and a beam of 27.5" this looks more freindly for paddling which is a must. I like to paddle but I also like the thought of this mirage drive for the hands free side of fishing. The hull weight is actually 2lbs less than my 62lb Tarpon 140 so that is no issue. Upon reading some of the reviews with the new fins fitted speeds of 7.5 mph are commonplace :o which sounds OTT for trolling but I would imagine good for a bit of fun on the beach.

Take a look here Hobie Adventure Bearing in mind I would only use it for trolling, what are your thoughts/opinions on this yak (honest answers I can take it ;) )

GB

Edited by GB

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

When I first started looking at choosing a fishing yak I took a look at the Hobie Outback, I like the idea of having hands free fishing for trolling. I was put of by the size, at 12'1 and 34" wide it looks a bit of a barge and everywhere you look it say's not very good under paddle power(which kind of defeats the object of kayaking)

I have been looking at the Adventure which comes in at 16'0" and a beam of 27.5" this looks more freindly for paddling which is a must. I like to paddle but I also like the thought of this mirage drive for the hands free side of fishing. The hull weight is actually 2lbs less than my 62lb Tarpon 140 so that is no issue. Upon reading some of the reviews with the new fins fitted speeds of 7.5 mph are commonplace :o which sounds OTT for trolling but I would imagine good for a bit of fun on the beach.

Take a look here Hobie Adventure Bearing in mind I would only use it for trolling, what are your thoughts/opinions on this yak (honest answers I can take it ;) )

GB

Looks pretty impressive to me GB, still not sure how the mirage drive thingy works(bit like a pedalo?), but would like to have a go in one to check it out. Sail system looks fairly sophisticated too. Go on, go on, get one and gisa go!!! :D

I've got the hobie mirage outback.A bit of a barge eh <_< Not a bit of it.Its very stable comfortable and ideal for hands free fishing.The ideal trolling speed is only 1-2 knots and i find you have to concentrate to keep the speed that low and can troll all day no problem.No problem as a paddler either i enjoy doing both.

The Adventure looks great and is a fast yak.But at 16ft i was put off by the length (oooerr missus)

When Fishing over a reef or rock mark the system allows you to hover hands free and fish happily away without having to anchor up and then go through the effort of hauling this up if the mark is not producing.When trolling i hold the rod and every now and then l flick this forward to make the lure more realistic.This is more often than not when you get a take.Because you're also using leg power which is a larger muscle group you can cover greater distances with less effort.Can do about 4 knots all day.Ive had no problems with the drive which just needs a wash down and a squirt of wd40 on the mechanism.

Get one.You won't regret it.They are pricey however but you have to pay for your pleasures. :)

Hobie Mirage Outback.

I've got the hobie mirage outback.A bit of a barge eh <_< Not a bit of it.Its very stable comfortable and ideal for hands free fishing.The ideal trolling speed is only 1-2 knots and i find you have to concentrate to keep the speed that low and can troll all day no problem.No problem as a paddler either i enjoy doing both.

The Adventure looks great and is a fast yak.But at 16ft i was put off by the length (oooerr missus)

When Fishing over a reef or rock mark the system allows you to hover hands free and fish happily away without having to anchor up and then go through the effort of hauling this up if the mark is not producing.When trolling i hold the rod and every now and then l flick this forward to make the lure more realistic.This is more often than not when you get a take.Because you're also using leg power which is a larger muscle group you can cover greater distances with less effort.Can do about 4 knots all day.Ive had no problems with the drive which just needs a wash down and a squirt of wd40 on the mechanism.

Get one.You won't regret it.They are pricey however but you have to pay for your pleasures. :)

Sorry spuds no offence meant with the barge bit :headhurt: I just thought it looked kinda wide for it's length (ok stop digging) ;)

Does it hold station in any sort of tide spuds, sounds ideal for searching out a wreck with a baited rig.

The length is no issue for me, my motor is mahoosive and I need a new garage built so I'm gonna make it 18ft.

Finally does anyone know if they are being imported to the U.K yet?

Cheers for your input.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

Earlier this year I had a price of £1350 quoted for an Adventure from the UK Hobie dealer. Didn't buy due to price plus was unsure how good product support is in the UK. Whos going to be the first here to buy one? Would like to try one out :)

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Earlier this year I had a price of £1350 quoted for an Adventure from the UK Hobie dealer. Didn't buy due to price plus was unsure how good product support is in the UK. Whos going to be the first here to buy one? Would like to try one out :)

£1350 whoa that is expensive. As you point out if something happens to the drive and you got no aftersales support you could have an expensive garden knome for a whole season.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

Hi,

I've not been on the forum for a few weeks but thought I'd add a reply on this.

I've had a Hobie Outback since September and love it. Interestingly it does have a completely different drift pattern due to its hull design and size. I initially noticed this when I was fishing with Chris W in his Prowler.

I do find it a bit of a struggle to paddle a long way, but then this is my first Kayak, so have little to compare it to. It is fantastic for hands free fishing and using the mirage drive means that you can cruise around all day with little fatigue.

The UK dealer lives a few miles from me in Dartmouth, so I'm sure product support won't be an issue (let's hope I don't have to find out :D )

I'd like to have a go in the 16ft version as it looks easier to paddle, but I'm not sure if they have one in the UK. Unfortunately, I can only just get my Outback in my garage, so an upgrade to the 16ft version is not an option.

Cheers,

Dave

Kayak - Hobie Mirage Outback

Location - Paignton

Sorry spuds no offence meant with the barge bit :headhurt: I just thought it looked kinda wide for it's length (ok stop digging) ;)

Does it hold station in any sort of tide spuds, sounds ideal for searching out a wreck with a baited rig.

The length is no issue for me, my motor is mahoosive and I need a new garage built so I'm gonna make it 18ft.

Finally does anyone know if they are being imported to the U.K yet?

Cheers for your input.

Hobie Mirage Outback.

I have no trouble holding station with the hobie outback off the north devon coast even on spring tides.however the tide flow at these tides in the Taw Torridge estuary are up to 4 knots and are too much like hard work .They are also too fast to anchor on.

You can phone 07816-209935 and speak to stewart of hobie uk(based in dartmouth devon)

I haven't had to get parts yet but i'm sure this can be sourced locally or via the us with no problems.I haven't heard of any problems with the drive system on the US sites.Hobie uk do go to various boat/outdoor shows around the country so it may be worthwhile contacting them so you can have a look.The feedback from our American cousins is that the Adventure is a great bit of kit with no vices or problems other than the expense.

The drive system is silent and allows you to get right up to bass even in shallow water.However i don't know how to fly fish but this method would be deadly.I went out a couple of days ago in the estuary and could see the dorsals of numerous bass all around me. I tried a rapala without success and have promised myself to get some fly gear and tuition. :)

Hobie Mirage Outback.