Stackpole this weekend

GB

O.K my fishing pass has been limited by the F.P.O to local area and I have to work Friday day.

I will be fishing Saturday and Sunday from Stackpole for the Tope. Howard A.K.A Codshead is coming down Friday night to fish the 2 days.

Launch time will be around 10 am from the quay. 3 Mile paddle/drift to mark. Loads of makerel at the moment but I will be getting some fresh just in case.

Tides Sat

09.55 high 6.5

15.36 low 2.1

22.09 high 6.7

Sun

10.30 high 6.3

16.15 low 2.3

22.46 high 6.4

Weather looking marginal, better idea Friday morning.

Anyone welcome to join us.

GB

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

Had a fantastic time in glorious Pembs, we had bass, pollack, mackies, tub gurnard, grey gurnard, and obligatory doggies. We fished for tope on the sunday, but unfortunately had to paddle into Barafundle , due to thunder and lightning. If any of you get the chance to fish with GB , jump at it , he knows his stuff. Thanks again GB for a great weekend , and your genorosity, we'll do it again soon.

It was a pleasure H. I really enjoyed the company and the chance to exchange ideas.

Oh by the way tope where caught in the freshwater west area on the sunday match (typical)

Cant wait to do it again.

GB

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

It was a pleasure H. I really enjoyed the company and the chance to exchange ideas.

Oh by the way tope where caught in the freshwater west area on the sunday match (typical)

Cant wait to do it again.

GB

GB, I have been following the forum for some time now and paying particular attention to the comments about Pembrokeshire. I am lucky enough to spend most weekends in Pembrokeshire in Broad Haven (North). I have two SOT's that I mess about on and have had a go (pretty unsuccesfully) at fishing from. The SOT's are BIC malibu's which are great for messing about on but seem hard work to fish from or cover any distance on. A few questions for you

How long does it take you in a decent kayak to cover your 3 miles to your mark, I ask because the decent fishing from my local beach is about 3 miles away ( Hen and Chicks and Stack Rock ).

Have you done any fishing in the Broad Haven, Druidston, Newgale area?

I don't have any way of transporting my SOT at the moment but I may address that soon, when you are on one of your trips would my SOT be good enough to tag along to get an idea of how the experts do it? I don't need huge tope or sharks I'm happy taking decent pollack on lightish tackle and a bass would be a pleasant first for me.

Cheers

Woot

Hi Woot

Welcome to the forum. Let me first give you a link that helped me out big time when I first decided to get a yak. Anglers Afloat starvinmarvins site.

As for your questions. When paddling the 3 miles to the long trench the first time I went it took me 2 hours as I was messing about for makerel on the way, on the way back it took about 45 mins as the tide was screaming in my favour. On another occasion when going to the inner trench it took two of us 30 mins to do 1/2 mile back to the head as the tide was against us. The day before it took 45 mins to do 1&3/4 mile against wind and tide in another location. So you really need to leave plenty of time to get there and back safely and keep a sharp eye on the weather as no two days or locations are the same. Planning is everything even if nothing goes to plan. By the way 3 miles is a long way in a short kayak.

As for your kayak I have never seen a bic malibu before so I cant comment on it's suitability for tagging along on some of my outings. Saying that if it is suitable for doing a mile then a trip out of stackpole and fishing up to barafundle and the inside of stackpole head would be a good start as there is not to much tide and the paddle distances to a safe haven is measured in yards rather than miles.

Next time your down this way give me a shout and if I'm not working I'm fishing. I have some spare safety equipment i,e flares and another radio.

As for seing how the experts do it, I have been boat fishing for over 20 years but I am very new to kayaking and kayak fishing. I only started myself this year and have still got a lot to learn.

For advice on north Pembrokeshire see if richard lawrance pops in and he will give you some advice on where to go ect. He is a tidy guy and a good fisherman and his usual stomping ground is around your area.

Anymore questions just ask away as everyone on here are more than happy to help, I'm sure you will get some more advice on this thread.

All the best

GB

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

post-8764-1152649323_thumb.jpgpost-8764-1152649323_thumb.jpgI'm so dull it hurts sometimes, my SOT's are BIC Bilbao's not Malibu's. I will try an attach a pic but will be suprised it it works. Thanks for the info, a great help. I know from following the forum for a while that if I am going to do some fishing that I need to get set up correctly. I have spent many happy hours afloat in the area and have a boat moored in neyland marina at the moment and regularly go around the local islands so realise the safety aspects invloved and how changeable conditions can be.

I will continue to tap in to this valuable resource for research and will try and gatecrash a meet one day to have a look at some of the fitted out rigs.

Cheers

Woot

I was just having a look at Up & Unders website for something else and ended up fantasy shopping. Came across the Tarpon 140. Looks like a fantastic piece of kit but the price frightened me to death. By the time I had bought one, a trolley, a roof carrying system of some sort and kitted myself and the yak out my wallet would be having palpitations. On a serious note how easy do you find it to put on and off your car and get down to the water at the pembs beaches?

I was just having a look at Up & Unders website for something else and ended up fantasy shopping. Came across the Tarpon 140. Looks like a fantastic piece of kit but the price frightened me to death. By the time I had bought one, a trolley, a roof carrying system of some sort and kitted myself and the yak out my wallet would be having palpitations. On a serious note how easy do you find it to put on and off your car and get down to the water at the pembs beaches?

I find the tarpon very easy to get on and off the roof. I use a hickory broom handle and 2 small cam straps to extend the rear roof bar. Put stern of yak onto this then put front of yak onto roof bar then slide stern end onto roof bar. Takes about 2 mins total once you get used to it. There is a thread on here somewhere with pics of how to do it, I will try and dig it out.

As for trolleying I have no problems with the ecla extra large trolley. Very easy to get yak on and off and it's mega stable over pebbles or sand.

The price of the tarpon is £100 more than the prowler but it is a fine peice of kit. If you are serious about a tarpon then give White Water Consultancy a call, if you get a plain tarpon and get your paddling kit, trolley, dry bags ect in 1 foul swoop you could get a decent discount.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

Once again thanks for the info. I will probably pop into WWC one day as I drive past every weekend. You know how it is though once i go and have a serious look that will be it and I will be the thick end of a grand worse off but probably very happy.