Stackpole this weekend

GB

You would be very happy. In the meantime get out and fish the Bics, they will be fine closer to shore, most importantly you will be getting some experience under your belt and will have a better idea of exactly what you want from your kayak, more speed or more stability, more storage, shorter, longer, wider, lighter, loads to think about, but as your already on the water you have plenty of time to make those choices.

When's the big Cardiff event, there will be plenty of kayaks there to have a play with, I know that WWC are going to be there.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Sorry for the late entry into ths discussion, been away in the Isles of Scilly.

Thanks for the PM GB, a trip out sounds good sometime, I just need to get sorted first and I'll drop you a line.

Regarding fishing in the Broad Haven area etc, believe it or not I haven't been out from there this year yet, I've been off trying other areas since getting my new Prowler rather than the old sit inside which was waiting to fall appart and sink at any moment!!

There are loads of good areas around, you can launch from Broad Haven, Little Haven, Nolton Haven, St Brides, Newgale, Solva etc all quite easily. There are loads of good reefs between Broad Haven and Newgale that hold bass of varying size. Makerel can be found anywhere, watch for the gannets, they come in quite close.

Solva is great if you get the tides right, you can float your yak down river at low tide and then paddle back to your car at high tide.

One of the areas that I have been trying this year has been between St Brides and Stack rock. Stack rock is about half way between broad Haven and St Brides so times should be similar. It can take forever when you're fishing but in a straight line it's about a 30 to 45 minute paddle in my P13. Stack rock is great if you're into wildlife and geology, loads of seals and rock formations, look out for the camel. (Clue: it's not in the water!)

The area east of St Brides is virtually inaccessible by foot but full of rock gullies and kelp beds. I've had a few nice bass and loads of small pollack on lures. There are some big pollock too, you should have seen the one that got away.......... Generally I lure fish with the intention of catching something good to eat so I can't offer any advice on bottom fishing etc.

Another good site for ideas on boat set up is

www.paddle-fishing.com

On my old sit inside, rather than drill loads of holes to support rods, I made a rod holder using 40mm waste pipe and a few bits of plywood, fixed to the deck with bungey chords. A crate was then strapped to the rear deck to hold the fish / landing nets etc.

Another thought I've had for the area is to catch some spider crabs in Goultrop Roads, if you go down there at low tide when the water's shallow you can see them covering the rocks. I never fancied it in the sit inside, the thought of a couple of big leggy crabs wandering around between my knees was just too much!!!!!

Good luck.

Richard.

Richard

Thanks for the info, bizarrely I have only just read it because I have been away in the scillies. I am familiar with Stack Rock and the Hen and Chicks after diving them many times. I think I will take peoples advice and get out there on my Bics and have a go. I will have to have a look at making some heath robinson rod and paddle holders and getting out there.

Cheers

Woot

• 4 weeks later...

hello there, i fancy doing some kayak fishing. but would like some advice before i spend any pennies

OK Prowler 13 Angler - Yellow

Species Hunt: Bass, Bream, Bull Huss, Coalfish, Dogfish, Flounder, Grey Gurnard, Mackerel,

Pike, Pollack, Pouting, Whiting

Previous kayaks:

OK Drifter Angler

Cool Otter Impulse