Aberdeen report

spanner

I got out in the kayak for a couple of hours yesterday just south of Aberdeen. To save an extra mile paddling each way, and to keep the the tide on my side I launched from Portlethen, with a bit of 'just to prove I could do it' thrown in. For those that don't know it, it’s a wee cove, at the foot of a steep bluff, the only way in for a boat is by sea. Kayaks can also go by foot, more 'by head' actually :)

Having got ready to launch the heavens opened, I sat and waited 45mins for the thunder and lightning to pass before getting out on the water.

After checking out my various shore marks in the area on the fish finder, and wasting some time trying catch a big sea trout that was jumping, I tied up on a pot buoy just off Findon Ness. In amongst the masses of dabs, that were all about 1lb and much better than the usual 8oz specimens I see from the shore, was a solitary cod of 2-1/2lb.

By now it was slack water so I took the opportunity to explore a bit further north at Blowup Nose. Right off my favourite shore mark there, I had a thumping take from what I thought was a decent pollack by the way it crash dived, only it turned out to be a very feisty 4lb cod. I also picked up 3 mackerel which were my first of the year up here.

Once the tide started running I headed back to Findon for a few drifts past the Ness, and caught a 2lb saithe, a 3lb pollack and a few more mackerel. Last drift I just left it to take me most of the way back to Portlethen and it was dab city again.

So, not too many fish, but enough to make it a fun day, and a tasty tea, with the bonus of getting up close to loads of cute wee puffins.

Rain did not stop play :)

Edited by spanner