Kimmeridge

YakAttack

I will be near Kimmeridge for a few days next week and am looking forward to taking out my Malibu 2 for a spot of bassing. Any tips on where to paddle and methods to use would be greatly appreciated.

Also, anyone know where I can get live sandeels locally. I used to have some success raking them in the sand at low water but I dont know if this is worth trying in Dorset.

Lookigm forward to hearing from you.

Regards

YakAttack

Hi Yakattack

CAnt help with the sandeel I only use the blast frozen ones and they work fine at Kimmeridge. Just a cautionary note about the place a ground swell can kick up some great surfing marks either side of the bay. Great for surfing but not so great for yakking and it doesnt follow that calm weather means a calm Kimmeridge. That said its a great spot but the fishing has been badly affected recently, possibly by local gill netting.

Try a shallow lure around the east or western ends of the bay. Float fished sandeel also gets results for both Bass and Pollock . Fish the eel just off the bottom. A series of ridges go out from the shore, try 500m out with rag tipped with squid for bream and mackies etc. If you just want to avoid the blank try rag for wrasse off the rock outcrop to the west of the bay.

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

Hi Yakattack

Kimmeridge is fishing well at the moment on Springs, with bass and mullet coming right into the shore to feed on the maggots being washed out of the rotten weed, beached from the previous set of springs. Float fished maggots or artificial maggot flies will get both mullet and bass, with rapala J11 and Maria Chase plugs being most consistent for the bass. If you're not around over spring tides, concentrate your efforts around fishing at dawn. Bass can be caught at first light regardless of the state of tide (on plugs or bait). As for fishing further off shore, I've not had so much luck, other than mackerel, pollack, wrasse, dogs, pout etc., but big bream, congers etc. also get caught from the area.

The beauty of Kimmeridge is that if you dont mind a bit of a paddle, you can access some other great marks like Warbarrow. Launching is also a doddle: you can park to the side of the slip, unload your gear and then take the car back up to the divers carpark. Darnsarf made a very important point: just because it looks flat calm when you launch, keep your witts about you. What can seem a very insignificant swell a mile off shore can result in spectacular surf up to 1/4 mile out. I was nearly caught out at the weekend. We camped to the east of kimmeridge and woke up on Sun morning to no wind but a 6 foot surf. having said that, I fished there last night and there was hardly a ripple on the surface.

Have fun and stay safe.

Aidy

Yak: OK P13 (yellow)

Aidy any sign of nets or have we got a result?

Aidy any sign of nets or have we got a result?

Haven't taken much notice to be honest mate as it just depresses me :( . There are still plenty of buoys bobbing about, but whether they are pots or nets i'm not sure. How do you tell the difference if they're set deep? I'll have a closer look tomorrow if I manage to get out again.

Yak: OK P13 (yellow)

the guy in question normally sets them close in at Charnel and close to the bench. They are about 40m long and set shallow. Smaller bouys than pots with white small suspension floats along the length of the net. Just look at the bass runs along that part of the shore. If you are out when he sets he will just lay them across your fish line. Honestly! He than says something along the lines of "Its a free country" Lovely guy. Needless to say we exchanged views. The rest is for our next meeting.