me crabs! me crabs!

RGF

me crabs are dying before they peel,I had the same problem last year.I did receive some advice about edibles/velvets needing deeper,colder and aerated water. done this but they still don't like it and give up the ghost..can't figure it out,anyone got any suggestions?

Guest jay_con

Can you tell us more?

Do you filter your water and if so what with?

If not how often do you change your water and where do you get it from.

How big is your tank? and how many crabs do you keep in it?

Do you aereate your water? How effecient is your aereator?

If you can answer those questions I may be able to offer some help. :):D

Apologies for the very late reply Summer,work commitments are a pain in the arse.

I change the water everyday and it comes from fresh clear seawater pools close by,the 'tanks' are just plastic cheapo containers got from wilkos sized 15x12 inch I have cheap aerators from the local tackle shop,the kind people use for keeping sandeels alive for a number of hours these are battery powered 2x1.5 v thanks...

Guest jay_con

My first thoughts are oxygen although it could be other factors. Invest in a decent aquarium pump. Like the one I just sold..

Make sure there are no streams/rivers feeding your rockpools, Low salinity can be deadly especially for velvet swimmers although not so much for common shore crab which can tolerate brackish water. Better to get it from the sea at high tide. Im glad to here you change it daily. This is essential if you dont use a filter.

What about heat?? A hot shed can warm the water up fast. Hot water deteriorates fast and also effects oxygen levels. Ice blocks like those freezer bag blocks are ideal. drop 1 in each box 3 times a day when its hot. Aim to keep your water 12-18 degrees centigrade.

Good luck. Please come back and tell us how you get on. :D

thanks for the advice Summer I'll be buying a concord pump very soon and I'll be trying to cool them down abit more,will let you know how I get on.If I come across some more decent whiteworm I'll sort you out with some or show you where cheers.

I come from a game fishing background and work used to have away overseas most of the summer so I used to miss the trout season,I had sort of withdrawal symptoms while I was in S.Africa and got talking to a local guy he took out on his boat/shore and suddenly I was catching all sorts of wonderful things small tuna,cob and the likes.

when I got back home I asked a good friend of mine who's fished the Northumberland coast most of his life if he would take me under his wing and my addiction started from that point really.

Guest jay_con

Long may it continue. I here you have some great kelp beds up there. Must be full of red cod at this time of year?

Aye lots of kelp,fresh peeler with a big single bright orange scottish mussel tied to it's back does the business for me,although I've never had a codling over 5lbs in the summer,but seen some nice fish caught at Newton,Boulmer and Beadnell.

Had a look at this geezer's site that gets on the Nesa forum.photo recce it's called and some of the places on there looked tremendous-Staithes

and surrounds, I would love to have a go down that way,do you have any info on the area?

Guest jay_con

Lol Thats our back yard. I know the site you have been looking at and can tell you that whoever wrote it is very knowledgable about this area. All the info there is spot on. Do you know the guy who wrote the site?