Who siad the swallow had all gone?

Guest Ferret1959

Guest Ferret1959

Not long got in from my walk around the lake and down by the river and thought I'd share these with you.

Not the best pictures I've taken but you get the idea of what the subject is.

Story goes like this.

Spotted some swallows about and thought I'd try and get a few pictures for the 'Where have all the swallows gone' thread on Non angling forum.

Anyhow they just darted about far to quickly for anything worth while.

I noticed a couple kept going under this bridge.

931689.jpg

So I hide myself in the reeds under the bridge hoping for a better shot.

Noticed these little fellows and thought my luck was in.

931695.jpg

All was looking good but half an hour later I still hadn't got what I wanted, the parents knew I was there no matter how well I was hidden and how still I squatted.

The parents eventually got 'used' to me being there and came back on the feed.

I can't believe how quick they delivered the food for the hungry chicks but this is the best I could do considering the conditions.

931690.jpg

931691.jpg

After about an hour and a half I went to get up and walk home only to find I'd lost all feeling in my feet and my legs didn't want to work, bit of stretching and rubbing got the blood flowing again but it was certainly worth it. :)

Guest Ferret1959

Cheers Cliff.

What has suprised me is young chicks still in the nest at this time of year.

Maybe a 3rd brood???????

Only two chicks so hopefully will get well fed in time for thier trip to Africa. :)

What has suprised me is young chicks still in the nest at this time of year.

Maybe a 3rd brood???????

Only two chicks so hopefully will get well fed in time for thier trip to Africa. :)

That also surprised me Ferret, so much so I even checked the exif on your shots as I thought they must have been taken a few weeks ago. I don't know enough about Swallows to say if this is so out of the ordinary or not & apologies for doubting when the photos were taken. :huh:

Like you say, I hope they get fed sufficiently to have the strength for the long journey ahead.

Regards

Cliff