Conservation The Spanish Way

clem

Upon this years return to our usual Spanish retreat in southern Spain I was curious as to why the trawlers were no longer hammering the local beach in past years they woke me up in the night as they practically ran up the beach. Then all was revealled: The big boats had decimated the fish and the ground so much that the local beach fishermen had to pack fishing in as they caught literally nothing at all. Aparently two years ago a Voluntary aggrement was reached that the trawlers did not tow within 4km of the shore This predictably was totally ignored so last winter huge barges deposited thousands of 1 tonne concrete blocks right along the shoreline so even the heaviest of gear was impossible to work.

Heres the good bit , In the 8 months since the dumping of the blocks marine life acording to the local diving club is thriving.

Now the Spanish and fish we all know the rest but you have to hand it to them they do not mess about when it comes to construction(most likely E U money though).

Thoughts drift towards Marine Drive Scarborough and all that Rock and concrete what a reef that could have made.