Strike indicator problem

Jim Murray

Jim,

I tried the solid indicators, but like you, had the same problem of them slipping on the leader under the strain of casting. I now make up my indicators from 'Loon Products Strike-Out' yarn. Two or three lengths of a coupla inches, folded over and whipped onto a small loop of braid or backing (I also used to whip 'em onto lightweight hooks). I tie a dropper into the leader, and tie the indicator onto the dropper. When I used to use indicators with hooks, it was just like a big top dropper fly, and it surprised me every time a fish rose to it - I caught quite a few on the indicator 'fly'. The big benefit of having the indicator tied on a braid loop is that it will pass thru the rod rings easily, so you can use really long leaders where needed, and still net a fish on the point fly.

Hope this helps.

Bill