Live Sand Eels

Guest Salar

Guest Salar

Does anyone know a reasonably simple way of catching lesser sand eels? I can't always time my trips so that I can buy them live, and they are an unbeatable bait in my area (Hampshire/West Sussex). I have a boat, but usually fish single handed so a seine net would not be an option. Can one use traps, or maybe a mini beam trawl?

Salar - how about a cast net? They are one-person devices. A 6 ft diameter one is easy to handle for a beginner and the 8 ft ones don't take long to master.

Guest Neil Foley

Salar,

I'm only familiar with the shore methods of a "drag net" or the "dig and pounce" method. It's possible to get mini-shrimp "feathers" to use from a boat to catch them but I know nothing about this.

Neil.

------------------

Neil's Angling Site - Irish Shore and Freshwater Fishing

It occured to me that cast nets may not be know in the UK. Am putting in a picture and a link for a "how to" video in case anyone is interested. Great way of catching bait in the right areas.

www.worldwidefishing.com/store/whee...eeler/video.htm for a video giving how-to details

http://www.fishingnoosa.com.au/Page32.htm for pictures of a typical castnet and a brief how-to

Guest Salar

Thanks Newt, Thanks Neil. I hadn't thought of a cast net - I had come accross them during one of my previous USA trips, so now I can try another US method in my UK location! So far I have tried a flasher/dodger for bass - caught 12 in half an hour first trip, then nothing since despite much trying. I also use a great folding shrimp trap I bought in Vancouver for hermits, and this Summer I will be trying a couple of diving vanes I bought in Cape Cod for mackeral. Can you recommend a good site where I can buy a cast net? Thanks again.

Neil - I believe the mini shrimp things work best for launce, or greater sand eel. I'm note sure how to locate shoals of those guys but I know they catch a lot of them off the Channel Islands.

Guest Salar

PS to the last post, Newt - I see the site featuring the video does mail order. I'll have to give it a go now! I you hear of strange antics at the entrance to Langstone Harbour you'll know what's been happening - probably self tangled in own net falling in!

I'd love to hear how you get on with it.

8 ft diameter would be your best choice I expect but it does take a bit of learning to be able to toss it so it is completely spread out and flat to the water. Luckily, you can do that part in the yard so no one sees until you have become a pro. Posted Image

They are widely used over here. Usually when I launch my boat there are at least one or two boats catching their lives for the day in the same area.

Guest Alan Taylor

Originally posted by Salar:

?

Hi Salar, just catching up on a few threads and noticed mention of Channel Islands. On our second trip the Skipper could not get hold of live ones so we had to feather for them, as luck would have it, I had some mini feathers in my box from a herring bash the precious week. They worked a treat for big and small sand eels.

The method is simple, you have six or more hooks so as in Mackerel fishing, don't wind in just 1, wait for the hooked one to attract others and go for a full house. We found them on the bottom but if you count to yourself while lowering your gear and hit them mid water you will be able to drop down again and hope they are still there.

Location must be critical and I can only base my opinion on logic. If you are going to fish an area with live sand eel then it must be a prefered and easy source of food for the fish so the sand eel must be there.

Watch for the Gannets and Gulls diving, they could be after fish that feed on sand eel.

You could email Brian Blondel http://WWW.traderslist.com, he was our skipper and dropped us bang on the eels.

Trawls work the best but can be a dangerous game alone and I would not reccomend it. I have a lot of experience in this area and know what I am talking about. One error could be your last.

congercatcher would be of help here if you email him or fishing widow.

Stay safe and good luck

Alan(nl)

Guest Salar

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a go. I'm also going to try the cast net thing - I'll get the wife's twin sister who lives in Pittsburg (and before you gutter-brains ask - no I haven't!!) to bring a cast net over for me when she visits. I'll let you know how I get on.

What IS IT about this topic - I see its up to 60+ views now!!

• 1 month later...

If anyone saw some very strange behaviour at the entrance to Langstone Harbour this morning - it was me trying the cast net. Not easy, is it? I took Newts advice and went for the 8 foot one, but did not realise the "Old Salt" was a heavy model for deep water. You need to be built like a gorilla to lift it! I will keep at it, one day it may spread wide enough to catch something. (I asked the wife's twin to bring it over from Pittsburg - no problem I said its only the size of a lunch box. I didn't know there was about 5lbs of lead in it as well! She was not happy. Had to ditch some makeup or something to make room in her suitcase. What a lovely lady).