Help - spyware virus

lyn

Can a spyware virus tranfer to another computer? Liam has kindly tried to download a music website and infected our computer with a spyware virus. :angry: Matthew is away for the night so I'm not sure what to do :headhurt:

In the bottom right hand corner with the other icons is a red circle with a white cross with a msg saying click here to protect the computer from spyware, nothing happens when I click it.

Help. I am on a different computer by the way this is why I asked the 1st question.

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

Can a spyware virus tranfer to another computer? Liam has kindly tried to download a music website and infected our computer with a spyware virus. :angry: Matthew is away for the night so I'm not sure what to do :headhurt:

In the bottom right hand corner with the other icons is a red circle with a white cross with a msg saying click here to protect the computer from spyware, nothing happens when I click it.

Help. I am on a different computer by the way this is why I asked the 1st question.

lyn

have you not got a spyware program you can run to pick it up and remove it.....ie spybot ,ewido, avg , all free...they pick up most things !

have you not got a spyware program you can run to pick it up and remove it.....ie spybot ,ewido, avg , all free...they pick up most things !

I'm not sure I'm pretty hopless when it comes to the tec side of these things I leave it no1 son!! Is it OK to do a seach on the computer or will the virus stop me doing that?

I don't like using it as we have wireless connection. The broadband box is connected to Matthews Xbox will that be infected as well? I hope not as Liam may not make the Timsbury fish in if he has infected that :lol:

Any advise will be helpfull. Is it best to leave it off or should I try & clear it?

lyn

I'm not sure I'm pretty hopless when it comes to the tec side of these things I leave it no1 son!! Is it OK to do a seach on the computer or will the virus stop me doing that?

I don't like using it as we have wireless connection. The broadband box is connected to Matthews Xbox will that be infected as well? I hope not as Liam may not make the Timsbury fish in if he has infected that :lol:

Any advise will be helpfull. Is it best to leave it off or should I try & clear it?

lyn

it should be still ok to use if its only spyware...they only slow the computer up if theres a few of them...a virus is different they be worse...do you know the name of the virus or spyware that you have downloaded...in future before you open any downloaded file run it through a anti virus program...theres a few good ones free on the net

Thanks mark, I think it just said the 'spyware virus'. Maybe I will leave unitl Matthew gets back tomorrow as he has so much stored on that computer including his photos etc I would hate to do something and loose it all. Plus most of my stuff is on there as well. :(

I wll let you know how we get on.

Thanks again

lyn

let's not forget that spyware and viruses are totally different and anti virus software will not remove spyware and vice versa

Edited by jeepster

let's not forget that spyware and viruses are totally different and anti virus software will not remove spyware and vice versa

true jeepster....

.i kinda mentioned that but i think she should wait for hubby to come back... :)

bye the way yure avatar is scaring my kids..... :P

Morning, I checked when I went to bed last night and it says it is 'infected' is that different to a virus??????? :headhurt: By the way, small thing, a lot of posters do know but Matthew is my son. Sorry as he has met a lot of AN posters at Wingham they would know & I wrongly think everyone knows. Someone once thought he was my toyboy when he went to get Liam for me :headhurt::lol::lol:

lyn

Morning, I checked when I went to bed last night and it says it is 'infected' is that different to a virus??????? :headhurt: By the way, small thing, a lot of posters do know but Matthew is my son. Sorry as he has met a lot of AN posters at Wingham they would know & I wrongly think everyone knows. Someone once thought he was my toyboy when he went to get Liam for me :headhurt::lol::lol:

lyn

toyboy..lol you woundnt be that lucky huh :) as for your virus thingy...not sure what kind of infection u have

lyn but whatever you have in your system yure still gonna need a anti virus or spyware program that can run and pick it up and finally remove it,,,,,ive had my fair share of both and have always been able to remove them with free programs on the net !! once you have these progams run them weekly ..they pick up most things....heres a list of a few free ones avgfree(antivirus) antivir pe(antivirus) ewido(spyware malware) spybot(spyware) and spyware blaster.....and i use processguard which will stop things attacthing

themselves to your registry...these are all free and work far better than some you pay good cash for i.e norton etc ....hope this helps

best regards mark :thumbs: