Mobile phone - water damage

Jim Murray

I should point out that, after my little underwater excursion a few years back, mine is now insured :D

most insurers of mobiles do not cover liquid damage ie water damage

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif

I've tried the SIM card in another phone and it works ok. An ultrasonic bath....that sounds interesting. Can you get them at Argos...;)) Seriously, how is that done and where?

Jim.

I did it at work, not something I have in the kitchen! An ultrasonic bath is just a box of water or solvent with an ultrasonic generator (a bit like a fishfinder transducer). A lot of workshops and garages have them for degreasing parts. I didn't fancy exposing electronics to the serious de-greasing stuff so I put the parts in a plastic bag of deionized (distilled) water and then put the bag in the bath. The ultrasonic waves then just go straight through the bag. I thought it would be a good way of getting all the salt crystals out. Rinsing in warm tapwater would probably be pretty much as effective (but where's the fun in that?)

• 2 weeks later...
Surely I can't be the only one who has got a waderful of water with the Nokia in the cargo pocket of the trousers :wallbash:

Phone now displays "Insert SIM card".

Advice on Nokia forums:

1. Clean out with alcohol(no joy)

2. Place in oven for 5 minutes(dubious about this one)

3. Phone is damaged beyond repair.

Anyone got anything else to try before I bin it? It's a 6230i...

Jim.

Alcohol normally leaves a film when it dries, I suggest that you try carbon-tec which you can buy from most chemists, they will ask you why you want it but if you say that it is for cleaning electrical components you should not have any problems. Give it a thorough clean then leave it to dry well. Carbon-tec gives off heavy fumes so for your own safety you must NOT use it in any confined area, also the use of a mask may well be a wise precaution. I would also suggest that you read this before use. http://www.ilo.org/public/english/protecti...00/icsc0024.htm

I have used it for cleaning / degreasing electrical components for some time without any problems or ill effects. If your phone still does not work there is nothing else left but the bin.

Surely I can't be the only one who has got a waderful of water with the Nokia in the cargo pocket of the trousers :wallbash:

Phone now displays "Insert SIM card".

Advice on Nokia forums:

1. Clean out with alcohol(no joy)

2. Place in oven for 5 minutes(dubious about this one)

3. Phone is damaged beyond repair.

Anyone got anything else to try before I bin it? It's a 6230i...

Jim.

Alcohol normally leaves a film when it dries, I suggest that you try carbon-tec which you can buy from most chemists, they will ask you why you want it but if you say that it is for cleaning electrical components you should not have any problems. Give it a thorough clean then leave it to dry well. Carbon-tec gives off heavy fumes so for your own safety you must NOT use it in any confined area, also the use of a mask may well be a wise precaution. I would also suggest that you read this before use. http://www.ilo.org/public/english/protecti...00/icsc0024.htm

I have used it for cleaning / degreasing electrical components for some time without any problems or ill effects. If your phone still does not work there is nothing else left but the bin.