Sussex Ouse

Guest Wilko 09

Guest Wilko 09

Morning chaps,

I am looking to fish the Sussex Ouse very soon, north and south of Lewes, has anybody any experience of this river? I have been told that Barcombe Mills and the Anchor Inn pretty are good. I've also been looking at the drains at Pevensey, again, any ideas? I was looking to fish for Chub and Pike.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Martin

Morning chaps,

I am looking to fish the Sussex Ouse very soon, north and south of Lewes, has anybody any experience of this river? I have been told that Barcombe Mills and the Anchor Inn pretty are good. I've also been looking at the drains at Pevensey, again, any ideas? I was looking to fish for Chub and Pike.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Martin

I have fished in and around the Anchor at Barcombe Mill, to be honest your better of fishing the tidal stretch below the weir and beyond, coming from brighton, before you turn down the small lane to the anchor you go on a bridge over the river, check out down stream from there

Above the weir there is a network of channels with carp, (big)chub,bream,tench,perch roach and aparantly pike, but it's very small and slow flowing and I would say is a real challenge to put a good bag together. You can get tickets from the farmhouse near by, be warned though,the guy that owns the house is not particularly friendly

Maggot feeder is often quite good on the lower stretches, but as said it's tidal.

I know there are other people who fish the lower ouse so they would be able to provide better advice.

If you any where near Brighton, drop into "fish face" tackle dealer's on Islingword Road (next to Southover Street), the guy that runs it is very friendly and always willing to advise on where's fishing.

If you can do a recce before you fish it would give you a much better idea of whats going on, purely for the fact that the EA change the Upper channel water levels in preparation for winter. and it's quite a maze of tributries etc, it's a good fews hours of wandering around

Dan

Edited by Moodyboy

Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes

Guest Wilko 09

Nice one Dan , some good info there, do you happen to have a bit more detail on the location of 'Fish Face'?

Cheers mate,

Martin

Nice one Dan , some good info there, do you happen to have a bit more detail on the location of 'Fish Face'?

Cheers mate,

Martin

When you come in to Brighton, at the end of Lewes Road, you can head straight down towards the sea front, instead at the end where the "level" (small flat park with skate park in it) is turn left up Islingword road, you can't miss it, it's a whoping great big steep hill!!!!!!!!!!!!! The tackle shop is at the bottom of said whoping hill.

Saying that, I have a suspicion that he would point you in the same direction that I have, so please don't go to far out of your way, there is also a tackle shop in Lewes itself that might be worth checking out, however I don't know what is called or where it is!!! Try using the search option in forums it might be listed there, type sussex ouse

On the pike, just above the weir directly across from the Anchor has seen pike show in the past, it's aslo quite deep there, so may be worth crack as the weather gets colder. There are apparently a "few" barbel downstream from the weir as well.

Dan

Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes

hey Wilko,

I fish the Ouse regularly - If it's Pike and Chub you are after then you should do alright. There have recently been pike to 25lbs taken on the stretch above the tidal limit at barcombe. This stretch runs from the mills upstream past the Anchor and as far as Isfield. You can get a day ticket from the farmhouse or from Percys tackleshop in Lewes high street....only problem is you only have limited access with the ticket! You can buy a winter season permit for the ouse angling preservation society from Percys for £30 which is a better bet if you're going to make a few trip and gives you pretty much unlimited access to the river between lewes and newick ( about 8-9 miles of it!!) Percys have all the maps showing access points and carparks etc... v. useful!!

Below the weir is tidal and there have been quite a few double figure pike taken there this season, there are also some lovely roach and chub to be found here. Nice sea-trout in summer too!

Further upstream past haywards-heath is where the some good chub and barbel fishing can be found, the river is alot narrower and shallow up here. No decent pike. You need a permit for the haywards heath and district angling society which can be purchased from Sporting Chance tackle shop in haywards heath.

Good luck - let us know how you get on! Maybe see you on the bank!

Sam.

Guest Wilko 09

Thanks for the detailed help Sam.

I will definately give the upstream (non tidal) stretch a go as well as the tidal stretch. I am a member of a local club with exchange agreements with other clubs which hopefully, will cover me for the permits, I will drop into Percys anyway to have a deco at the maps. Really fancy having a crack at the Barbel as well, I didn't realise that we had any around this neck of the woods.

Thanks again and hopefully we will get to meet on the bank.

Martin