Shimano 5010GT vs GTE 5000

James P

Hi guys and gals,

Does anyone know the size difference between these two reels. I'm using GTE5000B's but they feel too large on my Avon rods and affect the balance a bit. I've seen a lot about anglers using the older 5010's recently.

Does anyone has any suggestions for a suitable set of smaller baitrunner reels - I fish for Perch, Tench, Chub and Roach mainly.

Regards

James P

"if i'm not back in 5 minutes, just wait longer!"

Hi guys and gals,

Does anyone know the size difference between these two reels. I'm using GTE5000B's but they feel too large on my Avon rods and affect the balance a bit. I've seen a lot about anglers using the older 5010's recently.

Does anyone has any suggestions for a suitable set of smaller baitrunner reels - I fish for Perch, Tench, Chub and Roach mainly.

Regards

James P

You'll not get a better small baitrunner than either of them, well I don't think so. My favourite is the 5010 but I have both the 5010's and the gte 5000's. The body on the 5010's is bomb proof as it's made out of very tough graphite .

I use an old Shimano 4010 baitrunner on my avon rod. I'm not sure if it's much smaller than a 5010, but it balances well on my setup.

Paul.

I think "may be wrong" that the 4010's actually bigger than the 5010's.

Okuma Interceptor IBF30 (£29.99) is a nice wee reel with a 5 year warranty. I've used the IBF50 for piking for about 5 years or so and it's still a joy to use. I can't fault it. If it broke tomorrow, I'd go out and buy another.

Click HERE for a review

More Reviews

......And More

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

I just compared my 4010 and the 5010's. The bodies are exactly the same size, only the spool holds less on the 4010.

So there's nowt in it then. I know Andy's recommended the Okuma but I prefer the shimano baitrunners over any others.

• 6 months later...

I can't comment on the 5010s as I've never owned one, but they get plenty of excellent reviews on here. I have the 5000 GTEs and they balance an avon-type rod very well, and are excellent reels. I don't know if the spools are interchangeable.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music