Trading licences and quota

seaside

I was reading an article in our local Aberdeen paper the other day when I saw a reference to the value of fishing licence and haddock/cod quota sold by a fisherman for £1,200,000 in 1999.

Doing a bit of following up it would appear that in the same year, according to the Scottish Fishermen's Organisation, 120 of their 450 member vessels bought in, leased or whatever additional quota and that the trading of licences and quotas was worth probably over £1 billion to Scottish fleet alone.

It would appear that whitefish licences were trading at typically £1800/tonne; pelagic licences were much higher, two having changed hands for £5m and £6m. Rental values for cod, haddock and saithe quotas were around £300 per tonne per year.

These figures were for 1999, does anyone have any more up-to-date values ?