T-shirt cod

Guest muttley

Guest muttley

Went out to a favourite mark of mine on friday just gone trying to catch some cod. I thought that if we went further offshore than normal to this mark we might get a better stamp of fish than the 2 or 3lb fish that you can catch lots of off clacton at the moment. We turned up for the last hour of the flood and i had 4 fish of around 4lb straight away....nice start! Coffee and bacon sandwiches over slack water and then full of enthusiasm we started to fish the ebb. 4 hours later and biteless i decided that a move into some shallower water was worth a go! With that sorted out we carried on fishing , within 10 minutes bites were coming thick and fast from a good size of fish...the smallest we caught was 4lb (about 8 of them to add to the four i had already) six 5lb fish...four fish over 6lb my mate tony caught his new PB cod at 7 1/2lb....3 nice size skate and then just as the last of the tide came a nice fish of just over 11lb came to my rods. Tony was buzzing and said it was the best fishing he had off his boat. We fished the first 2 hrs of the flood before we came home but only caught one more 4lb fish. All in all we had a great day.

post-8921-1174211149_thumb.jpg

Went out to a favourite mark of mine on friday just gone trying to catch some cod. I thought that if we went further offshore than normal to this mark we might get a better stamp of fish than the 2 or 3lb fish that you can catch lots of off clacton at the moment. We turned up for the last hour of the flood and i had 4 fish of around 4lb straight away....nice start! Coffee and bacon sandwiches over slack water and then full of enthusiasm we started to fish the ebb. 4 hours later and biteless i decided that a move into some shallower water was worth a go! With that sorted out we carried on fishing , within 10 minutes bites were coming thick and fast from a good size of fish...the smallest we caught was 4lb (about 8 of them to add to the four i had already) six 5lb fish...four fish over 6lb my mate tony caught his new PB cod at 7 1/2lb....3 nice size skate and then just as the last of the tide came a nice fish of just over 11lb came to my rods. Tony was buzzing and said it was the best fishing he had off his boat. We fished the first 2 hrs of the flood before we came home but only caught one more 4lb fish. All in all we had a great day.

:clap2: Great report, it's certainly fishing well down your way. :clap2:

Its interesting reading Muttley's report. I have been watching, and listening to locals during the past couple of months. There has been a pattern, first, all the cod moved in close, but seemed to prefer the deeper water holes, the 2-3lb average size was maintained. Then the od 4-5lb fish started to show, now all the reports I hear are good numbers of bigger fish by (N/Thames, Anglia standards) and almost all these larger cod from shallow marks. The liners are having a field day by all accounts! <_<

Thornbacks are in double figures, the od small smoothie and decent size 'soles' are about, has the world gone mad. Sorry has Essex/Suffolk gone mad??? :unsure:

Any one else noticed the trends, are they new??? :mellow:

'Sutton W'

Nice one Matt, what baits did you use ?

Guest muttley
Nice one Matt, what baits did you use ?

Squid Steve....not them little ones but the biggest calamari i could find. When I said shallower I moved into 75ft instead of 110ft....small tides=deeper water...i'll leave it to you to guess where we were.