Eastbourne bass

Steve Holman

I'm of a mind toi have a try with a surface popper type lure for a bass at Langney Point. Am I too late in the season, or is it still worth a go? I was thinking of chucking a rubber sandeel out some way, with the help of a heavy rubber ball, then winding slowly back in with the eel on the surface. It would be a daytime session either side of high water, or whatwever any kind soul could advise.

Ta very muchly in advance.

Guest Brumagem Phil

Can't comment on your precise location and I am very much a newbie to sea fishing but will tell you what i've found from my personal experience in a filling estuary in norfolk fwiw.

The water is chilling and by what i'm told, the bass are switching from hunt mode to scavange mode so are mindful of how much energy they expend to get their meal as they fatten up for the winter. On that basis i've been using a 45g dexter wedge with a very slow retrieve so i can often feel it bouncing along the bottom. I've had bait anglers actually tell me i'm 2 weeks or more too late for lure fishing as they laugh at me walking off the beach. Fair do's, it IS tougher to lure fish now than it was in june or july but by no means is it an impossible task as my two freshly caught bass dinners this week testify! :)

Bottom line is be mindful that the fish want big meals for little energy so drag your lure nice and slow in the best possible conditions ........ie bright sunshine to give lots of vision to the lure or the big feeding periods of dawn and dusk and you should stand half a chance.

Hope this aint trying to teach a granny to suck eggs..............just trying to give back a little of what i've learned here.

Always worth ago , Langley has changes beyond recognition sine I fished it for Codling twenty or so years ago, There used to be huge amounts of shrimp there the codling used to burst with them, so a lure or a plastic may work, Ive caught Bass afloat this time of year using Cox and Rawle bass bullets.

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

Phil

Thanks for the good advice. I'll be sure to post on here my results with a Dexter Wedge

Five Bellies (How's old Gazza, by the way? I read that he's in love again)

From my experience as a commercial fisaherman at Newhaven, there will certainly be bass about until the water temp drops below about 11 degrees.

It's just that I was wondering whether they would stil be in the mood to take a lure.

Best to you both

Steve

Phil

Thanks for the good advice. I'll be sure to post on here my results with a Dexter Wedge

Five Bellies (How's old Gazza, by the way? I read that he's in love again)

From my experience as a commercial fisaherman at Newhaven, there will certainly be bass about until the water temp drops below about 11 degrees.

It's just that I was wondering whether they would stil be in the mood to take a lure.

Best to you both

Steve

As I said mate Ive pulled it off before, Not randomly though we had to find terns working first,

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

As I said mate Ive pulled it off before, Not randomly though we had to find terns working first,

I'll be there with a pal on Friday, weather permitting. It'll be a day just trying to catch anything that comes along, but I'll take a light carp rod along as well for the spinning.

Thanx again

Steve

I'll be there with a pal on Friday, weather permitting. It'll be a day just trying to catch anything that comes along, but I'll take a light carp rod along as well for the spinning.

Thanx again

Steve

As it happened, we didn't go. Too damned cold. Could have been one of the last chances for a bass this year. Never mind, there's always next year.