River Test

wanzelbin

I was in Whitchurch, Hampshire yesterday to see a customer, and wandered out to look at the river during a brief lunch break.

I'd never seen the Test before, and couldn't believe how beautiful it was. Crystal clear water running over light coloured stone and gravel with a few tufts of old weed here and there. I've read about it, but never actually seen it. Standing on the road bridge by the Silk Mill I looked down and could see perhaps thirty or more trout dodging about looking for food - some of them must have been over 4, even 5 pounds.

When I got home I spent a little time on google trying to find out what sort of fishing is available on the Test. It's an understatement to say I was disappointed to see prices like £190 per rod per day.

Is the entire Test priced like this? Does anyone know of parts of this or other chalkstream rivers in the south of England that aren't so ridiculously expensive? I'd really love to fly fish some rivers, but there's no way I can afford those sort of prices.

Thanks for any help.

D

I was in Whitchurch, Hampshire yesterday to see a customer, and wandered out to look at the river during a brief lunch break.

I'd never seen the Test before, and couldn't believe how beautiful it was. Crystal clear water running over light coloured stone and gravel with a few tufts of old weed here and there. I've read about it, but never actually seen it. Standing on the road bridge by the Silk Mill I looked down and could see perhaps thirty or more trout dodging about looking for food - some of them must have been over 4, even 5 pounds.

When I got home I spent a little time on google trying to find out what sort of fishing is available on the Test. It's an understatement to say I was disappointed to see prices like £190 per rod per day.

Is the entire Test priced like this? Does anyone know of parts of this or other chalkstream rivers in the south of England that aren't so ridiculously expensive? I'd really love to fly fish some rivers, but there's no way I can afford those sort of prices.

Thanks for any help.

D

Timsbury Manor where we hold one of the AN winter Grayling fish-ins does day rods. Phone for bookings on 01264 365165 or 07759 331 385, I dont know their rate but its lkess than £190 per day I think its more like £50+

Tony

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Timsbury Manor hwere we hold one of the AN winter Grayling fish-ins does day rods. Phone for bookings on 01264 365165 or 07759 331 385, I dont know their rate but its lkess than £190 per day I think its more like £50+

Tony

Thanks Tony. I found a website (http://www.geocities.com/romseyfishing/timsbury.htm) that shows £65 for the day and £50 for evenings. It also mentioned the River Test Carrier (a tributary?) for £25. Any idea what that's like?

Thanks Tony. I found a website (http://www.geocities.com/romseyfishing/timsbury.htm) that shows £65 for the day and £50 for evenings. It also mentioned the River Test Carrier (a tributary?) for £25. Any idea what that's like?

The carriers fast and slow are great for Grayling and Roach (supposedly), in the winter, they both hold good Trout, but I dont know much about flyfishing them, would think it would prove to be an interesting option to the main river.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Carrier is probably the Anton, a fine chalkstream itself, doubt its the Bourne - that costs more than the Test!

Cheapest bit I know of is the council stretch in Romsey, look at Test Valley Borough Councils website for more info.

Know anyone who work for John Lewis or IBM? both got good beats.

http://www.testvalley.gov.uk/Default.aspx?page=5577

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

Toq

Looking at the website I think these are the actual carriers on the fishery at Timsbury itself, I think they would be fun with a 2-3# rod.

Tony

Edited by Tony U

Tony

The test and the itchen are hard to access during the trout season affordably on day ticket (good to fish cheaply for grayling in winter though) but other chalkstreams are more accessible. I fish the Hampshire avon and it's tributaries a lot and you can get the real chalkstream experience for £50 or under a day (which is obviously still a lot of money for a days fishing). Often the fishing is trickier, without manicured lawns down to the water. And requires light lines and finesse but the fish may often be wild, where as those test lunkers are more often than not stockies.

I reccomend this place which on the very upper avon near Pewsey in Wilts

http://www.chalkstream-flyfishing.co.uk/chalkstream_home.htm

Small stream up here but crystal clear water and good head of wild fish, I've never got anyything much over a pound from here but the biggest brown last year was over 5lb !! very big fish in a small river

A bit further downsteam near Stonehenge, Avon Springs has a short stretch of the avon available on day ticket. This stretch is a bit bigger (test like in size) and has big stockies as well as wild fish and can have spectacular mayfly hatch (something that the Test often lacks in recent years)

http://www.fishingfly.co.uk

Further downstream yet you can fish the avon just below Saisbury you can fish the London Angling Assocation stretch of the avon. This is into the coarse fishing reaches but you can fly fish for the trout and gratyling for a tenner. I have also taken chub and pike on the fly here. theres miles of water to fish and some of the carrier stretches are still very much chalkstream water

Alternative Barton Court fishery on the Kennet is good at around £60http://www.riverkennet.co.uk/

The test and the itchen are hard to access during the trout season affordably on day ticket (good to fish cheaply for grayling in winter though) but other chalkstreams are more accessible. I fish the Hampshire avon and it's tributaries a lot and you can get the real chalkstream experience for £50 or under a day (which is obviously still a lot of money for a days fishing). Often the fishing is trickier, without manicured lawns down to the water. And requires light lines and finesse but the fish may often be wild, where as those test lunkers are more often than not stockies.

I reccomend this place which on the very upper avon near Pewsey in Wilts

http://www.chalkstream-flyfishing.co.uk/chalkstream_home.htm

Small stream up here but crystal clear water and good head of wild fish, I've never got anyything much over a pound from here but the biggest brown last year was over 5lb !! very big fish in a small river

A bit further downsteam near Stonehenge, Avon Springs has a short stretch of the avon available on day ticket. This stretch is a bit bigger (test like in size) and has big stockies as well as wild fish and can have spectacular mayfly hatch (something that the Test often lacks in recent years)

http://www.fishingfly.co.uk

Further downstream yet you can fish the avon just below Saisbury you can fish the London Angling Assocation stretch of the avon. This is into the coarse fishing reaches but you can fly fish for the trout and gratyling for a tenner. I have also taken chub and pike on the fly here. theres miles of water to fish and some of the carrier stretches are still very much chalkstream water

Alternative Barton Court fishery on the Kennet is good at around £60http://www.riverkennet.co.uk/

Thanks very much everyone. Quite a few options there.

Hengemaster, sounds like your on my old beats!

I was at Durrington before moving south, Fished Avon Springs when it first opened and the next few years, had some nice fish in there.

The bit below Avon springs still public??

Salisbury club had more chalkstream than you could shake a rod at to.

The rod box (Winch & Salisbury?) used to have day beats on the Anton at reasonable prices.

Down this way the Piddle has some fine beats available, think the lakes at Kings Sombourne had some river as well.

Think Timsbury is good value though, you do fish 'The Test' and some very fine fishing it is to, As Tony says the carriers on a light rod is great sport, and you may be lucky and connect with a seatrout or two.

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.