Smooth Hounds are here

gilbo

Went to fish Branscombe last night to see if the smoothies had started to show. Armed with a dozen good peeler crab and some nice worm.

When I arrived the car park was busy and walking down to the beach I was amazed to see so many anglers there. There was a match on:unsure: .

Anyway took a long walk up the left hand side of the beach and got a spot to fish.

Plenty of dogfish taking anything thrown at them but managed to work my way through them and had my first Smooth Hound of the year. Was only small but like they do gave a good solid scrap.

Delighted they have started to show. Grab your crabs and target them.:clap2:

DSCF0547.jpg

What it must be like to live somewhere that shore fishing can produce quality fish!!

You want smoothies in this neck of the woods, its a boat and all the paraphernalia that goes with it to even stand a chance of hooking into one.

Good luck to you mate, enjoy!!

If you like reading about catching smoothies and tope from the shore, then try the one and only book I have ever read. The sea fisherman's bedside book. It's filled with stories, both fiction and fact that almost put you there watching it all happen.

Andy

To find eternal happiness, live life like a dog!

Thanks Andy - where are you in the Country?

The best thing was how clean Branscombe was after all that shipwreck thing and the sea bed was clear.

Looking forward to a good few sessions there through Spring and Early Summer.

:thumbs:

Hi Gilbo

You're most welcome mate.

I'm from Harwich, North Essex. Just think of East Anglia as the shape of a butt and you'l have no trouble locating the town ;)

Its mainly all shallow water here by comparison to the south coast. Hence the reason uptiding came from this neck of the woods - Thames Estuary.

I would imagine that the ship insurers did a fairly good job of cleaning up and getting back what they could from the wreck. I am just grateful it was only a container ship and not a tanker. Imagine the pollution and death that would have wreaked upon the local marine and wildlife !!

Andy

To find eternal happiness, live life like a dog!

Are you mad? Me and a mate had a dozen pups the other night in Norfolk, in Suffolk they've had double figure smuts already at Orford mixed in with cod to 8lbs, bass at dovercourt, east anglia may look like a butt, but its a butt full of fish! Essex has seen good rays as has the north kent coast, you need to put the books down and get out more mate, WE have some of the best sea fishing in the uk here in east anglia.

Edited by Holmesy

Are you mad? Me and a mate had a dozen pups the other night in Norfolk, in Suffolk they've had double figure smuts already at Orford mixed in with cod to 8lbs, bass at dovercourt, east anglia may look like a butt, but its a butt full of fish! Essex has seen good rays as has the north kent coast, you need to put the books down and get out more mate, WE have some of the best sea fishing in the uk here in east anglia.

Hello Holmesy

I wish you would tell some of the muppets over on the conservation and politics forum

I fish to live and live to fish.

quality mate glad to see the hounds are back will have to get down to the chime asap. never had a bad night fishing there. even the doggies are good fun.

nice fish fingers crossed the big ones are following that one in. :thumbs:

im going down the chime to night (sunday) high tide is 8pm ish. what sort of time before or after the high did you get the hound?

will post if i get any thing!

where did you get your crab from?

cheers owen

• 2 weeks later...
im going down the chime to night (sunday) high tide is 8pm ish. what sort of time before or after the high did you get the hound?

will post if i get any thing!

where did you get your crab from?

cheers owen

Sorry for very late reply.

It was an hour or so after high water when the smooth hound was caught. Have had them just before low and over high as well so dont personally think it matters. Prefer fishing Branscombe on the flood tide and up over high.

You can get hold of quality live peeler crab from Exeter Angling Centre.

:thumbs: